­­WORCESTER, Mass. – The Dartmouth field hockey team continued its winning ways, pulling out a 4-3 victory Tuesday night in a rain-soaked game at Holy Cross.

The one-goal win was the third in a row for the Big Green, who, at 7-8 overall, are one win shy of doubling their season total from a year ago. The second loss in as many years to Dartmouth dropped the Crusaders to 6-10 this fall.

In all, four different Dartmouth players scored in the game that was marred by driving rain throughout. The downpour was so strong at points that the field did not need the customary water cannons at halftime and large spots of water still puddled all over the pitch.

Maureen Connolly scored the first of her three goals on the night in the 11th minute to get the scoring started, but was answered almost immediately by Jocelyn Wulf just 104 seconds later to tie things up. A second Connolly goal came in the 24th minute and sent the home team into the intermission leading by one.

A pair of Dartmouth tallies early in the second half from senior Morgan Philie and freshman Tatum Schultz pushed the visiting team into the lead for the first time on the evening just six minutes into the second half.

However, Connolly had the answer again with her 18th of the season in the 48th minute, pulling Holy Cross even.

The deadlock didn’t last long. In fact, the 3-3 game didn’t even last a minute. Sophomore Katie Spanos scored her third goal in as many games and her team-leading eighth of the season 45 seconds after the Connolly hat trick to put the Green and White in front for good. Katie Persin picked up her second assist of the night on the goal that proved to be the game winner.

Junior Hailey Valerio did her part to shut the door down the stretch, finishing with 10 saves in the Dartmouth cage to secure the win in a game one can only assume was most challenging for the goalkeepers. Her counterpart in the Crusaders’ Marcia LaPlante stopped eight and was pulled in the final 1:45 in favor of the extra player as the home team desperately sought the equalizer that never came.

Dartmouth dominated on corners, finishing with 14 to Holy Cross’ eight. Shot attempts were closer as rain leveled the playing field, slowing down balls in the circle and resulting in a 15-14 edge for the visitors. 

The Big Green are back in action Saturday in an Ivy League contest at Harvard and the penultimate game of the 2017 campaign. Game time is slated to get underway in Cambridge at 1 p.m.