HARTFORD, Conn. – On Saturday the Dartmouth squash team played Princeton in the second round of the Potter Cup held at Trinity College. Earlier this season, the Big Green managed to eke out a win against the Tigers 5-4, and came out with a similar result in this match.
The first round saw junior Sam Epley play a familiar for in Duncan Joyce, this time Epley proving his strength and winning 3-0. Brothers Brian and Matt Giegerich played on courts next to each other in the first round, at the No. 9 and No. 3 slots respectively. Brian played a marathon, 75-minute match to win in five, while Matt fell in three games to his Princeton opponent. Dartmouth started out with a 2-1 advantage after the first matches.
In the second round, Carson Spahr showed his ability taking down All-American Adhitya Raghavan in three straight games. Freshman James Bell could not keep up the momentum though and lost in three games to the same opponent he faced earlier this season at home. Brandon De Otaduy Nam had a similar bad run and lost to his left-handed opponent in four games, every game ended with only a two-point margin, ending the second round tied 3-3 with two more wins needed to secure the game win.
The final round saw senior Alvin Heumann fall in four games and Princeton take a one-game advantage, needing one more win to take the game. Senior Jack Harvey fought hard to prevent that from happening, winning in three straight games. The last match was played by Toby Harding who had a large task in front of him. Harding started every game with a few points lead and never let his Tiger opponent catch up in the first two games. The third game started strong for the Big Green freshman, but his lead slowly whittled away until there was only one point in it. In the end, Harding came through and won 11-9 taking the win for Dartmouth.
The Big Green won 5-4 and face Rochester in the final round.
- Youssef Ibrahim (P) def. Alvin Huemann (D): 7-11, 11-8, 11-9, 11-5
- Carson Spahr (D) def. Adhitya Raghavan (P): 11-9, 11-6, 11-5
- Cole Becker (P) def. Matt Giegerich (D): 11-7, 11-6, 13-11
- Toby Harding (D) def. Clark Doyle (P): 11-8, 12-10, 11-9
- Cody Cortes (P) def. Brandon De Otaduy Nam (D): 10-12, 13-11, 14-12, 11-9
- Sam Epley (D) def. Duncan Joyce (P): 13-11, 11-8, 11-5
- Jack Harvey (D) def. Abhimanyu Shah (P): 11-7, 11-7, 11-8
- Alexander Engstrom (P) def. James Bell (D): 11-9, 11-7, 11-7
- Brian Giegerich (D) def. Komron Shayegan (P): 12-10, 6-11, 7-11, 11-9, 11-5