MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - Sunday the Dartmouth men's squash team traveled to face Rochester in the final round of the Potter Cup, hosted by Wesleyan University. The winner of the game would finish fifth in cup, which was one of the seven trophy tournaments in the College Men's National Team Championships.
Similar to Saturday's outing against Princeton, the Yellow Jackets are a team the Big Green faced earlier this season at home and defeated 5-4 and Sunday's matchup would finish the same way. Dartmouth's final ranking for the season is fifth, the best ranking the team has had in at least five years.
First up, freshman Reg Anderson had a solid start, winning the first two games in quick fashion before letting his foot slip off the gas. He regained his fast-shooting style in the fifth game to take a 3-2 win. Junior Matt Giegerich had a strong match, taking the win 3-0, while junior Sam Epley was not so fortunate and fell in three-straight games.
The second round saw freshman James Bell win in four games, playing a patient game that frustrated his opponent into making too many errors. Sophomore Brandon De Otaduy Nam lost his match in three games, while junior Carson Spahr won his first game but fell in the final three to lose in four games.. With three matches to go, the outcome was anything but decided with both teams tied 3-3.
In the last round, freshman Toby Harding lost a four-game thriller to leave Rochester one match shy of victory with two games to go. Senior Jack Harvey knew that he would have to win to keep the hope alive, and he proved himself once again with a high-paced dominating game and proving too much for his Yellow Jacket opponent. Harvey took the win 3-0, before fellow senior Alvin Heumann came on the court for the final match of the day. Huemann drove the match into five games, after falling in the second and third game and coming back to win the fourth and fifth to take the win.
Dartmouth finishes the season with a 13-5 record, ahead of the CSA Individual Championships next weekend.
- Alvin Heumann (D) def. Ashley Davies (R): 11-9, 12-14, 11-8, 12-10, 11-8
- Tomotaka Endo (R) def. Carson Spahr (D): 7-11, 13-11, 11-8, 11-8
- Matt Giegerich (D) def. Ricardo Lopez (R): 11-6, 11-8, 11-9
- Lawrence Kuhn (R) def. Toby Harding (D): 9-11, 11-7, 11-3, 11-5
- Matthew Toth (R) def. Brandon De Otaduy Nam (D): 11-5, 11-5, 11-5
- Marcus Sim Wei Jei (R) def. Sam Epley (D): 11-7, 11-6, 11-3
- Jack Harvey (D) def. Numair Sani (R): 11-8, 11-6, 12-10
- James Bell (D) def. Ben Pitfield (R): 11-6, 11-4, 7-11, 11-6
- Reg Anderson (D) def. Rodrigo Porras (R): 11-8, 11-6, 7-11, 7-11, 11-7
- Brian Giegerich (D) def. Alexander Riedelsheimer (R): 10-12, 10-12, 11-3, 11-6, 11-6