HARTFORD, Conn. – The Dartmouth men’s squash team fell to St. Lawrence in the first round of the Potter Cup on Friday night, at the 2018 College Men’s National Championships, 9-0.
The No. 4 Saints have had a successful campaign this season, ranked one spot ahead of the Big Green their record is currently 14-3, while Dartmouth ends the season 11-5.
Five members of the Big Green took their matches into four or more games. Sam Supattapone fell in the first two games and came back to take the third but ultimately fell in the fourth losing the match. Freshman Reg Anderson also took his St. Lawrence opponent into four games, winning the first game 13-11 but falling in the final three.
Freshman James Bell had an outing similar to Supattapone, dropping the first two games and taking the third 11-9, but falling in the third 11-9 unable to get the win. Freshman Toby Harding faced a tough Saints opponent, who played his first game on Friday since December. Harding lost the first two games 11-5, and 11-8, winning the third 11-8 but dropping the third.
Junior Matt Giegerich went the distance, taking St. Lawrence’s Moustafa Bayoumy into five games. Giegerich dropped the first two games, came back to win the next two, but struggled to take down Bayoumy in the final game, losing 11-6.
The other five Dartmouth matches fell in 3-0 sweeps, with Jack Harvey’s second game going to 12-10 and Carson Spahr’s second game 13-11. St. Lawrence isn’t an opponent the Big Green has seen in the last five years, the last time the teams faced each other was in November of 2012 when Dartmouth hosted the Saints in the Fall Classic.
Next weekend the CSA Individual Championships will be held in Washington, D.C. and are the final remaining competition for Dartmouth this season.
- Ahmed Bayoumy (S) def. Alvin Heumann (D): 11-7, 11-9, 11-6
- Karim Ibrahim (S) def. Carson Spahr (D): 11-7, 13-11, 11-2
- Moustafa Bayoumy (S) def. Matt Giegerich (D): 11-8, 14-12, 4-11, 8-11, 11-6
- Mohamed El Gawarhy (S) def. Toby Harding (D): 11-5, 11-8, 8-11, 11-3
- Lenard Puski (S) def. Brandon De Otaduy Nam (D): 11-4, 11-8, 11-8
- Belal Nawar (S) def. Sam Epley (D): 11-8, 11-9, 11-9
- Hussien Elrayes (S) def. Jack Harvey (D): 11-9, 12-10, 11-9
- Lockie Munro (S) def. James Bell (D): 11-7, 11-6, 9-11, 11-9
- George Willis (S) def. Reg Anderson (D): 11-13, 11-9, 11-4, 11-3
- Youssef Fikry (S) def. Sam Supattapone (D): 11-9, 11-9, 9-11, 11-5