HANOVER, N.H. – Sunday afternoon the No. 7 Dartmouth men’s squash team drew up against the No. 8 University of Rochester at home, and finished with a close edging of the Yellow Jackets, 5-4. The Big Green improve to 11-3 while the Yellow Jackets fall to 3-4 on the year.
First on the court was sophomore Carson Spahr, who fought hard but went down in four games. Freshman Toby Harding lost in similar fashion, only managing to take one game off his opponent, as did junior Sam Epley. Freshman James Bell stepped up in the No. 8 spot for the home team and despite being down 2-0, turned the match around to win in five.
The last match on was co-captain Brian Giegerich, who also took one game off his opponent, but lost in four games. Rochester was leading 4-1 at this point and only needed one more match win to clinch the win.
The second round started strong with co-captain Alvin Heumann winning in four games at the No. 1 slot. Brandon De Otaduy came back from being down 2-1 to win in five grueling games and all of a sudden, Dartmouth was back in it with a chance of winning. Senior Jack Harvey had a slow start, winning and then losing a game, but the momentum started to build and once he found his rhythm he closed out the next two games winning 3-1.
With the match tied 4-4, only one game remained to determine who would win. Junior Matt Giegerich came out to face his Rochester opponent, and went down 2-1 after the first three matches, but came back to win the fourth game 11-8 and won the final game 11-6, playing with poise under pressure.
Sunday’s win is the first time Dartmouth has defeated Rochester since January 13, 2008, more than 10 years ago. Next up for the Big Green is an Ivy League matchup facing Penn on Saturday, Feb. 3 at 12 p.m.
- Alvin Heumann (D) def. Ashley Davies (R): 11-6, 11-6, 8-11, 12-10
- Tomotaka Endo (R) def. Carson Spahr: 11-9, 6-11, 11-5, 12-10
- Matt Giegerich (D) def. Lawrence Kuhn (R): 8-11, 11-8, 5-11, 11-8, 11-6
- Ricardo Lopez (R) def. Toby Harding (D): 11-7, 11-7, 7-11, 11-9
- Brandon De Otaduy Nam (D) def. Matthew Toth (R): 10-12, 11-6, 3-11, 11-9, 11-7
- Marcus Sim Wei Jie (R) def. Sam Epley (D): 6-11, 11-6, 11-4, 11-1
- Jack Harvey (D) def. Numair Sani (R): 11-9, 8-11, 11-6, 11-7
- James Bell (D) def. Ben Pitfield (R): 8-11, 9-11, 11-9, 11-2, 11-6
- Rodrigo Porras (R) def. Brian Giegerich (D): 11-7, 11-8, 3-11, 12-10
- Reg Anderson (D) def, Alexander Riedelsheimer (R): 11-9, 11-5, 11-13, 11-8