CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The eighth-ranked Dartmouth men’s squash team defeated No. 15 Franklin & Marshall, 8-1, to advance to the semifinals of the Hohen Cup in Division B of the CSA Team Nationals on Friday afternoon.
With the win, the Big Green improve to 8-7, while the Diplomats drop to 7-12.
To start the day, senior Nick Harrington dropped the first game of his match but rallied back and won the next three. Junior Brian Giegerich split the first two games with his opponent, but won the final two, resulting in a 3-1 win. Freshman Brandon de Otaduy also split the first two games with his opponent but ultimately fell in four.
Sophomore Matt Giegerich took a quick 2-0 lead, but lost some of his momentum, losing the next two games. In the fifth game, Giegerich cruised to a 11-1 victory. Junior Jack Harvey took his match quickly in a 3-0 victory, while sophomore Carson Spahr put on a show at the No. 2 spot, taking down his opponent in straight games.
Junior Alvin Heumann dropped his first game, but proceeded to win the next three for the 3-1 win. Sophomore Sam Epley won his match with ease in straight games for Dartmouth. In the final match of the day, senior Glen Brickman won in a competitive four-game affair, taking the fourth in extra points.
The Big Green return to action tomorrow when Dartmouth takes on No. 14 George Washington in the semifinals.
1. Alvin Heumann (DARTM) def. Cole Osborne (FMCM) 6-11, 11-4, 11-5, 11-5
2. Carson Spahr (DARTM) def. Silvio Soom (FMCM) 11-2, 11-8, 11-2
3. Shams Abbas (FMCM) def. Brandon De Otaduy (DARTM) 11-5, 11-13, 11-9, 11-9
4. Sam Epley (DARTM) def. Yannis Senkel (FMCM) 11-4, 11-7, 11-6
5. Matt Giegerich (DARTM) def. Samm Fulton (FMCM) 11-2, 11-3, 8-11, 12-14, 11-1
6. Nick Harrington (DARTM) def. Jackson McCord (FMCM) 10-12, 11-4, 11-5, 11-6
7. Glen Brickman (DARTM) def. Gavan Hitchenor (FMCM) 11-8, 2-11, 11-6, 13-11
8. Jack Harvey (DARTM) def. Boden Polikoff (FMCM) 11-9, 11-5, 11-5
9. Brian Giegerich (DARTM) def. Kareem Mawla (FMCM) 11-8, 9-11, 11-8, 11-9