Related Links

WORCESTER, Mass. – The Dartmouth men’s hockey team trailed 3-0 in the first period, battled back to tie it in the second, but eventually fell to Holy Cross, 5-3, Friday night at the Hart Center.

Playing in their season opener, the result marked the Big Green’s first loss on the road to the Crusaders (3-0-2), having played to a 2-2 tie in the only prior contest in Worcester back in 2009.

The home team was paced by a hat trick from Scott Pooley that included a power-play goal in each of the first two periods.

After a Johnny Coughlin tally sandwiched between pair of Pooley goals in the first made it 3-0 in favor of the home team, sophomore Daniel Warpecha finally got the visitors on the board with their first of the season. It came just six seconds after falling behind by three with junior Kevan Kilistoff picking up the assist by winning the ensuing center-ice faceoff and moving the puck up to his streaking winger.

Sophomore Ryan Blankemeier finished off a play with Corey Kalk and Brendan Less just 39 seconds into the middle frame to pull the Green within one. The game was tied less than three minutes later as Kilistoff redirected a point shot on the power play from Cameron Roth.

Freshman Joey Matthews picked up an assist on the third goal and joined Less as the two Dartmouth rookies to earn their first career points in the game.

Pooley capped his hat trick at 12:27 of the middle frame put the Crusaders ahead for good. Ryan Ferrill’s first of the season came with 2:06 left in regulation for the insurance marker.

Paul Berrafato stopped 30 shots — including 15 in the third period — to secure the win in the Holy Cross net. Devin Buffalo allowed five on 29 shots, a figure that buoyed in large part due to Holy Cross’ 3-for-6 night on the power play. Dartmouth was 1-for-4 with the man-advantage.

The Big Green remain on the road with a Sunday night tilt at No. 3 Harvard, the ECAC Hockey opener for both teams. Puck drop from Cambridge is set for 7 p.m. and can be seen live on NESN.