HANOVER, N.H. – Seven players had at least a point in Dartmouth women’s hockey’s 4-3 victory over Holy Cross at Thompson Arena on Friday evening. The Big Green improved to 3-6-0 overall, while the Crusaders dipped to 6-5-1.

Junior Kate Landers led the way with three points off two goals and an assist, while classmate Tess Bracken (in her first game this season) and sophomore Christina Rombaut both had two helpers. Senior Morgan Turner and freshman Sydney Hill netted their first goals of the season, and senior Hailey Noronha and junior Alyssa Baker ended the night with an assist. 

“I’m very proud of the effort tonight,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “From start to finish, I’d say that was our best game yet. There was great energy. I give Chris and Morgan tremendous credit for this. I went away and when I came back, the team looked really good. They played loose and hard and moved the puck really well.

“It was great to see Tess back,” Marsh continued. “She played very poised. And it was awesome to see Shannon get her first win. I’m very happy with this. There was good energy on the bench and good energy from line to line and this is the way we want to continue.” 

At 15:40 of the first, Landers got the puck from Baker behind the net and, before netminder Tessie Salatas could move from the right to the left post, shot over the Crusader goalie’s extended leg to give Dartmouth a 1-0 advantage. The Big Green continued to test Salatas for the remainder of the period, getting very close on shots by Turner and Rombaut, outshooting Holy Cross, 13-8. 

The start of the second period was quiet and it took almost five minutes for either team to take a shot. A Dartmouth penalty at 4:29 – the first of the game – gave Holy Cross its first real opportunity of the night. During that time, junior netminder Shannon Ropp had some great save and was covering her right when a Crusader shot to her left. A great sliding block by Noronha kept Holy Cross out of the net. The visitors eventually got one back when Julie Matthias shot into the top right corner nine seconds after the power play ended.

Matthias scored the equalizer just 38 seconds into the third period, but a career-first for Hill at 3:03 put Dartmouth back ahead. Shooting from a tough angle to the left of Salatas, Hill’s shot ricocheted off a Crusader and found its way into the right of the net to make it a 3-2 game. Turner’s game winner at 17:21 gave Dartmouth a little room to breathe, but another Crusader marker made it a one-goal game once again with just over 20 seconds to play. The Big Green held off their opponent for the remaining seconds to get the win. 

Dartmouth outshot Holy Cross, 29-23. Ropp picked up her first career win, making 20 saves.

The Big Green are now over halfway through their nine-game homestand. On Dec. 1-2, Dartmouth will host Princeton and Quinnipiac.