Related Links

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. – Junior Caroline Shaunessy and sophomore Christina Rombaut ended up with two points apiece in Dartmouth women’s hockey’s 3-2 victory over Union at Messa Rink on Friday evening. The Big Green picked up their first win since Nov. 24 and improved to 4-10-0 and 2-7-0 in ECAC Hockey play, while the Dutchwomen fell to 5-13-3 and 3-6-0.

Shaunessy netted Dartmouth’s second and third goals, while Rombaut opened scoring in the first and assisted on the game-winning tally. Senior Morgan Turner, juniors Alyssa Baker and Kate Landers, and sophomore Sydney Hill all had an assist. Christine Honor had a good game in net, making 25 saves to earn the win.

"That was a very satisfying win in many ways,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “We had some moments when we didn’t protect the puck particularly well, but Christine bailed us out. Overall, I think we gained momentum as the game went on. Christina’s goal to tie the game in the first was a big lift, and Caroline’s two only helped more. We were tentative at first, but as the game went on, we were battling more.” 

“The big thing was that we started to play much smarter in terms of how you have to play on the road: not give up a lot in the neutral zone, and get pucks in their zone and out of ours. The game could’ve gone either way, as Union is a much-improved team, but we had some big plays, and Christine did well, and we’re fortunate to come away with a win. I feel good about this for our kids. It’s a big lift from last week. We battled, we did the hard work and we did a great job at the end defensively. That was a good, honest, hard road win, for sure.”

Union controlled the early parts of the first period and, following three Dartmouth penalties in a short amount of time, had a 1-0 advantage. The Big Green soon turned the game around, finding the back of the net twice in less than three minutes to take the lead. Rombaut tied things up with her second of the season at 12:16, while Shaunessy put Dartmouth ahead with her power-play tally at 14:57. 

The Green’s lead did not last long, as the Dutchwomen responded just 37 seconds into the second to make it a 2-2 game. With both team’s defense on point, it took until the 15th minute for the tie to be broken. Rombaut had a great breakaway opportunity, but was stopped by netminder Coco Francis. Unfortunately for Francis, the puck rebounded to Shaunessy, who fired past the diving goalie for the second time to score the eventual game winner.

After a combined five goals were scored in the first two periods, the third was a lot quieter, although not devoid of action by any means. Union had a 13-11 shot advantage, but smart plays by the Big Green kept the Dutchwomen out of the net. Late in the period, Honor had two great back-to-back saves, diving on the puck to get Dartmouth out of danger.

The Green outshot the Dutchwomen, 30-27, and went 1-for-4 on the power play. The visitors’ defense played well, blocking 21 shots.

Dartmouth will remain in New York to take on Rensselaer at 3 p.m. on Saturday.