HANOVER, N.H. — The Penn Quakers avenged its lone Ivy League loss from a year ago by handing host Dartmouth a 37-24 defeat on Friday night at Memorial Field in the conference opener for both teams. Alek Torgersen completed 18-of-24 passes for 188 yards and a touchdown, plus ran for two more scores for Penn (1-2, 1-0 Ivy), while Tre Solomon supplied the other two Quaker TDs among his 107 yards on the ground.

Dartmouth (2-1, 0-1 Ivy) ended up amassing more yards on offense, 411-395, as junior quarterback Jack Heneghan completed 27-of-43 passes for 289 yards and a pair of touchdowns. His two favorite targets were freshman Hunter Hagdorn (nine catches, 86 yards) and sophomore Drew Hunnicutt (8-for-108 with a TD). But Penn thwarted any real chance of a Big Green comeback by intercepting consecutive passes late in the third quarter, the first of which led to the final Quaker touchdown of the night.

The first four Penn scores of the game came on its first four possessions, and all ended in the end zone, just as Dartmouth did at Franklin Field last year against the Quakers. Torgersen quickly moved Penn down the field after the opening kick was returned to the 34, needing just six plays to reach the end zone. The last 27 yards came on a pass to a wide-open Christian Pearson for a 7-0 Quaker lead just 2:30 into the game.

Penn took its time on its next drive, using more than five-and-a-half minutes to score its second TD. The key play on the drive was a six-yard completion to Pearson on a 4th-and-3 play at the Big Green 37, allowing Solomon to eventually put his first points of the night on the board with a seven-yard scurry.

Torgersen tallied the third Quaker touchdown to cap off a 12-play, 77-yard methodical march down the field, keeping the ball on a four-yard run on 3rd-and-goal early in the second quarter. A shanked punt gave Penn a short field at the Dartmouth 36, and the Quakers took advantage with Solomon crossing the goal line on a one-yard run.

The Big Green managed a lone field goal in the middle of the offensive explosion after a 41-yard burst through the line by sophomore Miles Smith. But Dartmouth found hope in the final minute of the half when junior Ryder Stone capped an 80-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown run, closing the gap to 28-10 at the intermission.

After the Green received the kick to start the second half, Smith took the handoff for the second time in the game and duplicated his 41-yard run from the first half. But a dropped pass on fourth down at the Quaker 20 ended the scoring threat.

Adjustments during halftime proved effective for the Dartmouth defense as Penn was forced to punt on its first two possessions. But the Quakers were handed another short field when cornerback Jyron Walker stepped in front of a Heneghan pass at the Big Green 17 for his first interception of the season. Four plays later, Torgersen bulled his way into the end zone for a 35-10 lead.

On the very next play from scrimmage, Heneghan tried to catch the Penn defense napping by heaving a pass 40 yards downfield. But the other cornerback, Mason Williams, made a diving catch over his shoulder for another pick. Although Dartmouth held the Quakers without a first down, the ensuing punt to start the fourth quarter pinned the Green at their own five. Heneghan was then brought down in the end zone by defensive end Tayler Hendricksen — the lone sack of the game for either team — for a safety.

Still Dartmouth would not quit. Heneghan completed 5-of-8 passes to guide the Big Green 71 yards, culminating with a 23-yard toss to Hunnicutt for his first career touchdown. Then Dartmouth needed just 2:32 to traverse 88 yards, converting two third downs and a fourth down along the way, with junior Charles Mack making a circus catch over a defender to an 18-yard score to make it a 37-24 game with 3:09 to play.

The inevitable onside kick attempt, however, was quickly covered up by Penn, and a pair of first downs allowed the Quakers to run out the clock.

Penn leading receiver Justin Watson finished the game catching half of Torgersen’s 18 completions for 67 yards. And Solomon, who carried the ball a career-high 29 times to collect his 107 yards, got help from five teammates who gobbled up 100 more for 207 total rushing yards.

For the Big Green, Smith fell short of the century mark with 93 yards on a mere five carries, but as a team they amassed just 29 more for 122 on the ground.

Defensively, Dartmouth senior cornerback Danny McManus was busy with a career-high 14 tackles while senior linebacker Folarin Orimolade added 10 more, also a career best. After taking the ball away seven times in the first two games, however, the Big Green forced nary a turnover.

Dartmouth hits the road next weekend for a Saturday game at 1 p.m. against the Yale Bulldogs (0-2, 0-1 Ivy), who play host to Lehigh on Saturday afternoon at 1:30 p.m. Penn returns to Philadelphia to entertain Central Connecticut State at 1 p.m. as well.

Notes: Penn’s four rushing touchdowns are as many as the Big Green defense had allowed in its previous 10 games combined … Dartmouth opponents had just five rushing TDs all of last season … the last Dartmouth receivers with 100 yards in a game were Ryan McManus (135) and Victor Williams (103) last year at Harvard on Oct. 30 … Penn snapped a modest two-game Big Green win streak in the all-time series, which the Quakers now lead 48-34-4 … the last Ivy League team to score 37 points against Dartmouth was Penn three years ago in a 37-31 Quaker victory that took four overtimes to decide, the longest Ivy League game in history.