HANOVER, N.H. - No. 27 Dartmouth men's tennis defeated Princeton, 4-1, on Saturday to win its first Ivy League title since 1997.
The Big Green improved to 20-5 overall and ended conference play with a record of 6-1, while the Tigers fell to 18-11 and 3-4.
Columbia is still in contention to earn a share of the title, but has one more match against Cornell left on the schedule. Regardless of the outcome of that match, it is Dartmouth that will win the league's automatic bid to the NCAA Championship by virtue of its victory over the Lions last weekend.
“I’m just so proud of how our guys handled this weekend’s matches,” head coach Chris Drake said. “Two very good opponents and coming off a big win last weekend at Columbia. I thought we reacted to the situation with great resolve and perspective. The Ivy League is extremely strong this year, so to win the championship says a lot about what these guys just accomplished. I also cannot say enough about the huge crowd and the amazing support we received from our fans, family and alumni.”
Junior Roko Glasnovic and freshman Casey Ross had a 6-3 win at No. 2 doubles and, after a 6-4 victory by senior Max Fliegner and freshman Peter Conklin at the No. 3 position, Dartmouth had a 1-0 advantage heading into singles.
Princeton tied things up with a win at No. 3 singles, but three straight Dartmouth wins wrapped up the match nicely. Sophomore David Horneffer put the Green ahead with his 6-4, 6-1 defeat of Luke Gamble at the No. 2 position, while Fliegner took down Damian Rodriguez by a score of 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 4 spot. A 6-4, 6-3 win by Conklin at the No. 6 position clinched the victory for Dartmouth.
The Green will be returning to the national stage for the first time since the 2015-16 season. This year's tournament will take place at Wake Forest, with competition beginning on Friday, May 18. The NCAA selection show will air on Tuesday, May 1, at 5:30 p.m. on NCAA.com.
1) No. 60 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Gamble/Rodriguez (Princeton), 5-4, DNF
2) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Holden/Seggerman (Princeton), 6-3
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Vives/Kaiser (Princeton), 6-4
1) No. 114 Broom (Dartmouth) vs. Kaiser (Princeton), 6-4, 4-6, 0-0, DNF
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Gamble (Princeton), 6-4, 6-1
3) Seggerman (Princeton) def. Martin (Dartmouth), 6-2, 7-5
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Rodriguez (Princeton), 6-3, 6-3
5) Roberts (Princeton) vs. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-3, 5-4, DNF
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Holden (Princeton), 6-4, 6-3