HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth men’s tennis defeated both Buffalo and St. John’s by scores of 4-0 at the Boss Tennis Center on Saturday. The Big Green are now 4-0 on the season and have blanked each of their opponents so far.
“This was a good test for our team early in the season,” head coach Chris Drake said. “Buffalo and St. John’s are both very good, very capable teams, so to beat them in a span of eight hours is a nice accomplishment. We were able to put some points on the board quickly in singles in both matches, and that was a big reason for our success today. We have a few things we need to work on and improve before taking on Indiana and Louisville on the road next weekend, but they are things we are fully capable of getting done this week.”
Dartmouth vs. Buffalo
The doubles point went to Dartmouth after 6-4 victories at both the No. 1 and 3 positions. Sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer got the first win at the top spot, while senior Ciro Riccardi and junior Roko Glasnovic followed soon after.
Already ahead, 1-0, the Big Green went into singles and grabbed three more wins to end the match. Of the three that went unfinished, Dartmouth was leading one, tied in another, and ahead in the second set of the third. Senior Max Fliegner had a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Ethan Nittolo at the No. 4 position, while Riccardi took down Villhelm Fridell, 6-2, 6-0, at No. 5. A 6-1, 6-2 win by Horneffer at the No. 3 spot clinched the win for Dartmouth.
1) Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Koay/Nittolo (Buffalo), 6-4
2) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. Vodak/Fridell (Buffalo), 5-5, DNF
3) Riccardi/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Vaghela/Johnson (Buffalo), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3
1) Broom (Dartmouth) vs. Vodak (Buffalo), 6-4, 1-2, DNF
2) Martin (Dartmouth) vs. Koay (Buffalo), 6-6, DNF
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Vaghela (Buffalo), 6-1, 6-2
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Nittolo (Buffalo), 6-2, 6-2
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Fridell (Buffalo), 6-2, 6-0
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. Frisk (Buffalo), 4-6, 2-1, DNF
Order of finish: 4,5,3
Dartmouth vs. St. John’s
Later on in the day, Riccardi and Glasnovic won their doubles match at the No. 3 position, but the Red Storm made things interesting by winning at No. 2. With it all coming down to the top, Broom and Horneffer had a 7-5 victory over Luke Sucevic and Dusan Vukicevic.
Horneffer picked up his second singles victory of the day with his 6-2, 6-1 win over Igor Maslov at the No. 3 position, while Broom added a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Sucevic at the No. 1 spot. Playing his first match of the weekend, freshman John Speicher defeated Federico Ruiz Acevedo, 6-1, 6-0, to clinch.
Next weekend, Dartmouth will face Indiana and Louisville on the road.
1) Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Sucevic/Vukicevic (STJ), 7-5
2) Trejgut/Roszkowski (STJ) def. Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth), 7-5
3) Riccardi/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Nunez Aguilera/Maslor (STJ), 6-1
Order of finish: 3,2,1
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Sucevic (STJ), 6-2, 6-3
2) Martin (Dartmouth) vs. Nunez Aguilera (STJ), 6-3, 5-1, DNF
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Maslov (STJ), 6-2, 6-1
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) vs. Vukicevic (STJ), 6-4, 2-3, DNF
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) vs. Trejgut (STJ), 6-3, 2-6, 0-0, DNF
6) Speicher (Dartmouth) def. Ruiz Acevedo (STJ), 6-1, 6-0
Order of finish: 3,1,6