PRINCETON, N.J. – Dartmouth men's tennis fell to Princeton by a score of 4-2 at the Lenz Tennis Center on Sunday. The Big Green concluded their 2017 campaign with an overall record of 11-14 and 3-4 in Ivy League play, while the Tigers improved to 13-12 and 3-3.
“I am proud of how the guys recovered from a poor start on the road against a good team to turn this match into a battle,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We came up just a few points short of completing an amazing comeback from being down, 3-0. We need to address the things that caused us to put ourselves in such a hole at the start of the match and learn from there.
A huge thanks to our two seniors, George Wall and Diego Pedraza, who just played their last matches for Dartmouth,” Drake continued. “Their substantial contributions both on and off the court have left our program in a better place than when they arrived on campus four years ago.”
Princeton picked up the first point of the afternoon with a 6-1 win at the No. 3 doubles position and a 6-2 victory on court two. At the top spot, junior Max Fliegner and freshman Charlie Broom were slightly trailing Thomas Colautti and Alexander Day when the match went unfinished.
Wins at the No. 2 and 6 singles positions gave Princeton a 3-0 edge, but Dartmouth clawed its way back with back-to-back wins. At the No. 3 position, Fliegner had a 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Luke Gamble, while freshman David Horneffer took down Payton Holden, 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 on court five. With the Tigers leading, 3-2, Kial Kaiser won a three-setter against Wall to clinch the win for Princeton. On court one, Broom was leading Colautti in the third set by a score of 5-2 when the match was ended early.
1) Colautti/Day (Princeton) vs. Broom/Fliegner (Dartmouth), 5-3, DNF
2) Wasserman/Holden (Princeton) def. Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 6-2
3) Gamble/Carcione (Princeton) def. Wall/Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-1
Order of finish: 3,2
1) Broom (Dartmouth) vs. Colautti (Princeton), 7-5, 5-7, 5-2, DNF
2) Day (Princeton) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
3) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Gamble (Princeton), 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
4) Kaiser (Princeton) def. Wall (Dartmouth), 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
5) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Holden (Princeton), 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
6) Carcione (Princeton) def. Grabill (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish: 2,6,3,5,4