HOUSTON, Texas – After two weeks away from the court, the Dartmouth men’s tennis team kicked off its two-state, four-match Spring Break trip on Friday afternoon, falling to Abilene Christian, 4-3, in a very close, back-and-forth contest that was played at Rice University. The Big Green dipped to 5-8, while the Wildcats improved to 12-8.
ACU won at the No. 1 doubles right when junior Max Fliegner and freshman Charlie Broom got a 6-4 victory at the No. 3 position, leaving it all up to the No. 2 spot. The teams traded the lead and it came down to a tiebreak, but it was senior George Wall and freshman David Horneffer that got the win, giving Dartmouth an edge heading into singles.
A loss at the No. 1 singles and a 6-2, 6-3 victory by Horneffer made it a 2-1 match. Both teams added another point, as Broom defeated Nico Agritelley in three sets at the No. 3 position and ACU’s Hunter Holman had a three-set win at the No. 5 spot, making it 3-2 in Dartmouth’s favor.
Play at the No. 6 and 2 positions continued. A Wildcat win at No. 6 tied the score at three-all and a very close three-setter at the No. 2 spot gave the fourth point to ACU, ending the match.
The Big Green will face No. 34 Rice at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
1) Adams/Agritelley (ACU) def. Glasnovic/Pedraza (Dartmouth), 6-2
2) Wall/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Josh Sheehy/Domanski (ACU), 7-6 (6-4)
3) Broom/Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Jon Sheehy/Langdon (ACU), 6-4
1) Josh Sheehy (ACU) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4
2) Jon Sheehy (ACU) def. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 7-6, 2-6, 7-5
3) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Agrtelley (ACU), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
4) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Holman (ACU), 6-2, 6-3
5) Adams (ACU) def. Wall (Dartmouth), 3-6, 6-1, 6-2
6) Langdon (ACU) def. Grabill (Dartmouth), 3-6, 6-1, 7-5