PRINCETON, N.J. – Dartmouth men’s tennis finished in fourth place at the 2017 ECAC Men’s Indoor Tennis Championship, falling to host Princeton, 4-1, on Sunday morning. The Big Green are now 3-6 on the season, while the Tigers improved to 4-4.
“Princeton was too good today, but we can compete and play better,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We will get back to work and make sure this happens.”
Freshman David Horneffer and junior Max Schmidt got things started with a 6-1 victory over Diego Vives and Kial Kaiser at the No. 2 position. Princeton followed that up by winning at the No. 1 and 3 spots to snag the doubles point and head into singles with a slight advantage.
A win at the No. 5 position put the Tigers two ahead, but Schmidt made it a 2-1 match. Playing at the No. 6 spot against Davey Roberts, Schmidt easily defeated the Princeton player, 6-1, 6-2, to get Dartmouth on the board.
Even though the Tigers took the next two matches to clinch the win, the Big Green did not bow down. At the No. 4 position, Kaiser won his first set against freshman Charlie Broom, 7-5, but it was the Big Green rookie that was leading the second, 5-3, when the match went unfinished.
Dartmouth will host Memphis on Friday, Feb. 24 at 5:30 p.m. This will be the last time the Big Green are at home until Ivy League play begins on April 1.
1) Day/Gamble (Princeton) def. Wall/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 6-3
2) Horneffer/Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Vives/Kaiser (Princeton), 6-1
3) Colautti/Cardione (Princeton) def. Pedraza/Schmidt (Dartmouth), 7-6(4)
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1) Day (Princeton) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-3, 7-5
2) Colautti (Princeton) vs. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 7-6, 5-0, DNF
3) Gamble (Princeton) def. Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4
4) Kaiser (Princeton) vs. Broom (Dartmouth), 7-5, 3-5, DNF
5) Wasserman (Princeton) def. Wall (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-2
6) Schmidt (Dartmouth) def. Roberts (Princeton), 6-1, 6-2
Order of finish: 5,6,1,3