ITHACA, N.Y. – No. 32 Dartmouth men’s tennis came back from a dropped doubles point to defeat Cornell, 4-2, at the Reis Tennis Center on Saturday. The Big Green improved to 17-5 overall and 3-1 in Ivy League play, while the Big Red fell to 7-10 and 0-3 in conference action.
“It was great for the team to win a match like this,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We lost the doubles point, several sets in singles could have gone either way and the outcome was in jeopardy late in the match. College tennis matches are not easy to win. The margin between winning and losing is so thin these days, so to get a quality Ivy win on the road is a good accomplishment for our team.”
A Cornell win at No. 2 doubles and a 7-5 victory by sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer – who are ranked 58th in the latest ITA National Rankings – at the top spot made it a close match right from the beginning. Play at the No. 3 position was tight, but it was the Big Red that came out on top and took the lead into singles.
Three straight singles wins soon put Dartmouth ahead, 3-1. Freshman Dan Martin started things off with his 6-4, 6-1 defeat of Daniel Grunberger at the No. 3 position, and that was followed by Horneffer’s 6-4, 6-3 win over Lev Kasakov at the No. 2 spot and senior Max Fliegner’s 7-5, 6-3 victory over Pietro Rimondini at the No. 4 position. The Big Red got one more on the board at No. 5, but Broom’s 7-6, 7-6 defeat of Alafia Ayeni at the No. 1 position clinched for Dartmouth.
The Big Green will play their final road match of 2018 on Sunday, taking on Columbia at 1 p.m. The match can be watched live on the Ivy League Network (ILN).
1) No. 58 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def Ayeni/Kazakov (Cornell), 7-5
2) McAllister/Volfson (Cornell) def. Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth), 6-4
3) Grunberger/Hansen (Cornell) def. Conklin/Fliegner (Dartmouth), 7-6
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Ayeni (Cornell), 7-6, 7-6
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Kazakov (Cornell), 6-4, 6-3
3) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Grunberger (Cornell), 6-4, 6-1
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Rimondini (Cornell), 7-5, 6-3
5) Hansen (Cornell) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-2, 7-6
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. McAllister (Cornell), 6-2, 2-6, 5-4, DNF
Order of finish: 3,2,4,5,1