NEW HAVEN, Conn. – No. 33 Dartmouth men’s tennis defeated Yale, 5-2, at the Cullman-Heyman Tennis Center on Friday afternoon. The Big Green improved to 15-5 overall and 1-1 in Ivy League play, while the Bulldogs fell to 10-7 and 0-1.
A 6-1 victory by sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer – who are No. 55 in the ITA National Rankings – at the No. 1 position and a 6-3 win by junior Roko Glasnovic and freshman Casey Ross at the No. 3 spot gave Dartmouth a 1-0 edge heading into singles.
Broom picked up another point for the Green with his 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Dylan King at the No. 1 position, but the Bulldogs got on the board with a win at the No. 4 spot. Freshman Peter Conklin took down Ryan Cheng by a score of 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 6 position, while classmate Dan Martin clinched with his 6-3, 7-6 win over Stefan Doehler at No. 3.
Yale won one more match, but Horneffer won a three-setter in dramatic fashion to end the match.
Having played five matches on the road, Dartmouth will return to the Boss Tennis Center for the first time in a month and a half to host Brown at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
1) No. 55 Horneffer/Broom (Dartmouth) def. Andrienko/Doehler (Yale), 6-1
2) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Cheng/King (Yale), 6-3
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. Wang/Heller (Yale), DNF
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. King (Yale), 6-3, 6-3
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Heller (Yale), 3-6, 7-5, 13-11
3) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Doehler (Yale), 6-3, 7-6
4) Wang (Yale) def. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-1
5) Andrienko (Yale) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Cheng (Yale), 6-2, 6-4