CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – No. 32 Dartmouth men’s tennis dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 27 Harvard in both teams’ Ivy League opener at the Beren Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 14-5, while the Crimson improved to 17-3.
Wins at the No. 2 and 3 doubles positions gave the first point to Harvard. At the No. 1 spot, sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer – who are ranked 49th in the country – were tied at 6-6 with No. 77 Kenny Tao and Logan Weber when the match went unfinished.
Crimson victories at No. 5, 2 and 1 allowed Harvard to clinch. All three of the matches that did not finish were in their third sets. At the No. 3 position, Horneffer had dropped his first set to Jean Thirouin, 6-3, but took the second, 7-6, while senior Max Fliegner also fell in his first set to Grant Solomon, 7-6, before winning the second, 5-2, at the No. 4 position. At the No. 6 spot, freshman Peter Conklin defeated Constantin Zoske, 6-4, in the first set, and was narrowly trailing, 5-4, in the second.
The Big Green will remain on the road next weekend, facing Yale at 1 p.m. on Friday.
1) No. 77 Tao/Weber (Harvard) vs. No. 49 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-6, DNF
2) Zhou/Solomon (Harvard) def. Ross/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 7-5
3)Thirouin/Wrezinski (Harvard) def. Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth), 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2
1) Tao (Harvard) def. Broom (Dartmouth), 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
2) Zhou (Harvard) def. Martin (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-3
3) Thirouin (Harvard) vs. Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-7, 0-0, DNF
4) Solomon (Harvard) vs. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 7-6, 2-5, DNF
5)Wrezinski (Harvard) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-0, 7-5
6) Zoske (Harvard) vs. Conklin (Dartmouth), 4-6, 5-4, DNF
Order of finish: 5,2,1