WICHITA, Kan. – No. 22 Dartmouth men’s tennis came out on top against Wichita State, walking away with a 4-3 victory at the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex on Sunday. The Big Green improved to 14-3, while the Shockers fell to 7-8.
“I thought we dealt with the conditions well today,” head coach Chris Drake said. “The guys just went to work and took care of business. Winning a close doubles point certainly helped, and then we got a quick point on the board at No. 4 (Riccardi). We are adjusting to the outdoor conditions quickly and we look forward to the challenge of playing a very good Memphis team on Thursday.”
Dartmouth grabbed the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions. Senior Max Fliegner and freshman Peter Conklin had a 6-3 victory at the No. 3 spot first, while junior Roko Glasnovic and freshman Casey Ross had a closer 7-6 win at the No. 2 position. At No. 1, 36th-ranked sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer were tied with No. 76 Marius Frosa and Murkel Dellien, 6-6, when the match went unfinished.
The Big Green came out strong in singles play, winning three in a row to clinch. Riccardi started things off with his 6-1, 6-3 defeat of Miroslav Herzan at the No. 4 position and that was followed up with a 6-3, 6-4 victory by Fliegner over Dellien at No. 3. Broom clinched at the top spot with his 6-4, 6-3 win over Haru Inoue, making it a 4-0 match. The Shockers followed that up with victories at the No. 2, 6 and 5 spots to end the day.
Dartmouth will close spring break and non-conference play on Thursday, March 22, against No. 24 Memphis.
1) No. 76 Frosa/Dellien (WSU) vs. No. 36 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-6, DNF
2) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Caligiana/Herzan (WSU), 7-6
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Stoica/Trapani (WSU), 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Inoue (WSU), 6-4, 6-3
2) Frosa (WSU) def. No. 119 Martin (Dartmouth), 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
3) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Dellien (WSU), 6-3, 6-4
4) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Herzan (WSU), 6-1, 6-3
5) Stoica (WSU) def. Conklin (Dartmouth), 6-7, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (11-9)
6) Caligiana (WSU) def. Ross (Dartmouth), 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
Order of finish: 4,3,1,2,6,5