STILLWATER, Okla. – In its first of three spring break matches, No. 22 Dartmouth men’s tennis fell to No. 23 Oklahoma State, 5-2, at the Greenwood Tennis Center on Friday evening. The Big Green dipped to 13-3, while the Cowboys improved to 15-4.
“I’m very happy with the way the entire team competed, battled, fought and laid out all on the line against a tough Oklahoma State team today,” head coach Chris Drake said. “For only having one day outside in hot, windy conditions to prepare for this match, I thought we gave ourselves a shot at every position. The guys did everything we asked them to do. This match came down to one or two points and we will be a better team down the road because of today’s effort.”
The majority of the singles matches were incredibly close. Conklin tied the score at one apiece with his 6-4, 6-1 win over Brady Draheim at the No. 6 spot, but Cowboy victories at the No. 2 and 4 positions put Oklahoma State back ahead, 3-1. Sophomore David Horneffer took down Mathieu Scaglia, 6-3, 7-5 (11-9) at the No. 3 position, and the Cowboys won close matches at No. 1 and 5 to wrap the day up. Senior Ciro Riccardi played a good match at the No. 5 spot, falling in a third set super breaker.
On Sunday, March 18, Dartmouth will take on Wichita State.
1) No. 30 Cash/Hammond (Okla. St.) def. No. 36 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth), 7-6 (7-5)
2) Theodorou/Dubinski (Okla. St.) def. Ross/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 7-6 (10-8)
3) Conklin/Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Draheim/Scagllia (Okla. St.), 6-4
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1) No. 78 Cash (Okla. St.) def. Broom (Dartmouth), 7-5, 7-6 (7-1)
2) No. 95 Dubinski (Okla. St.) def. No. 119 Martin (Dartmouth), 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Scaglia (Okla. St.), 6-3, 7-6 (11-9)
4) Meraut (Okla. St.) def. Horneffer (Dartmouth), 6-3, 7-5
5) Hammond (Okla. St.) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Draheim (Okla. St.), 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 6,2,4,3,1,5