NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Dartmouth men’s tennis took down Monmouth, 4-1, on the first day of the ECAC Championship on Friday. With their 10-0 record, this is the best mark the Big Green have had to start the spring in the program’s 96-year history.
“We handled losing the doubles point for the first time this season pretty well,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We put a lot of emphasis on having the proper response to each situation, whether it’s to success or to adversity. Winning the first sets on all six singles courts immediately after was a great response. Obviously, we are very happy to advance to the semifinal, and we are looking forward to playing a very talented, well-coached Princeton team tomorrow.”
Sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer – ranked No. 19 in the ITA national rankings – started things off with their 6-2 win at the No. 1 doubles, but Hawk victories at No. 2 and 3 gave the first point of the match to Monmouth.
After dropping the doubles point, Dartmouth rebounded by winning four straight singles matches to wrap things up nicely. Horneffer tied the score with his 6-2, 6-1 defeat of Ale Gomez Estrada at the No. 3 position, while senior Ciro Riccardi gave the Green the lead by taking down Sergio Martinez, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 5 spot. Classmate Max Fliegner added a 6-3, 6-3 win at No. 4, and Broom clinched with his 6-3, 6-3 victory over Nicola Pipoli at the No. 1 position.
Dartmouth will play Princeton in the semifinal at 12 p.m. on Saturday.
1) No. 19 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Pipoli/Giuffrida (Monmouth), 6-2
2) Gomez Estrada/Jakovljevic (Monmouth) def. Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth), 6-6 (7-5)
3) Martinez/Cooke Wharton (Monmouth) def. Conklin/Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3,2
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Pipoli (Monmouth), 6-3, 6-3
2) Martin (Dartmouth) vs. Jakovljevic (Monmouth), 6-2, 2-6, DNF
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Gomez Estrada (Monmouth), 6-2, 6-1
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Giuffrida (Monmouth), 6-3, 6-3
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Martinez (Monmouth), 6-1, 6-2
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) vs. Cooke Wharton (Monmouth), 7-4, 4-4, DNF
Order of finish: 3,5,4,1