HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth men’s tennis defeated Rice and Bryant by scores of 4-0 at the Boss Tennis Center on Sunday. The Big Green improved to 9-0, which is their best start to the spring since 2007, when the team also went 9-0, going undefeated from Jan. 28 - March 3.
“This was a very successful weekend for our team,” head coach Chris Drake said. “It is especially satisfying to have it come on the heels of a great weekend on the road. Every situation presents new challenges, and this week, we had to deal with how to handle our recent success. I thought we handled it extremely well on Friday night and again today. We just played our games, and we played with composure.”
Dartmouth vs. Rice
In the first match of the day, the Big Green grabbed the doubles points with 6-3 wins at the No. 2 and 3 positions. Junior Roko Glasnovic and freshman Casey Ross defeated Jacob Eskeland and Conrad Russell at the No. 2 spot, while senior Max Fliegner and freshman Peter Conklin took down Mohamed Abdel-Aziz and Austin Moninger at the No. 3 position.
Freshman Dan Martin’s 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 2 singles gave Dartmouth a 2-0 lead, while a win of the same score by Conklin at the No. 6 position put the Green within one point of clinching. As he did against Minnesota on Friday, senior Ciro Riccardi picked up the team’s fourth point with his 6-1, 6-2 win over Moninger at the No. 5 spot.
1) No. 19 Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Sarkar/Rutledge (Rice), 4-4, DNF
2) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Eskeland/Russell (Rice), 6-3
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Abdel-Aziz/Moninger (Rice), 6-3
1) Broom (Dartmouth) vs. Rutledge (Rice), 7-5, DNF
2) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Sarkar (Rice), 6-1, 6-1
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Eskeland (Rice), 7-6, DNF
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) vs. Russell (Rice), 4-6, 2-2, DNF
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Moninger (Rice), 6-1, 6-2
6) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Aiman (Rice), 6-1, 6-1
Dartmouth vs. Bryant
The Big Green returned to the court later on in the day to face the Bulldogs and won all three doubles matches to take the first point. Playing at the No. 1 position, Glasnovic and Ross had a 6-2 win, while Fliegner and Conklin took down the Oritz-Garcia brothers at No. 2, 6-3, and Martin and Riccardi defeated their opponents, 6-2 at the No. 3 spot.
Horneffer won the first singles point with his 6-0, 6-3 victory over Luke Lorenz at the No. 2 position. Freshman John Speicher added a 6-1, 6-2 win against Trent Massam at No. 6, and Conklin ended the match by taking down Artur Jakubowski, 6-2, 6-4, at the No. 4 position.
Next weekend, Dartmouth will head to New Haven for the three-day ECAC Championship.
1) Glasnovic/Ross (Dartmouth) def. Jakubowski/Kuhar (Bryant), 6-2
2) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Ortiz-Garcia/Ortiz-Garcia (Bryant), 6-3
3) Martin/Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Lorenz/Belmatch (Bryant), 6-2
1) Martin (Dartmouth) vs. Kuhar (Bryant), 6-1, 4-6, 1-0, DNF
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Lorenz (Bryant), 6-0, 6-3
3) Riccardi (Dartmouth) vs. Dong (Bryant), 7-6, 1-2, DNF
4) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Jakubowski (Bryant), 6-2, 6-4
5) Ross (Dartmouth) vs. Ortiz-Garcia (Bryant), 6-2, 3-5, DNF
6) Speicher (Dartmouth) def. Massam (Bryant), 6-1, 6-2