LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Dartmouth men’s tennis continued on its hot streak with a 4-1 victory over Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center on Sunday. The Big Green improved to 6-0, while the Cardinals fell to 3-3.
"That was a great team effort today and all weekend," head coach Chris Drake said. "It's a nice statement about our team that we had six different players win the six singles matches that we won in our two victories this weekend. We are getting contributions from all over the lineup, which is helping us all to build trust and faith in each other. We schedule two tough road matches on this weekend every year, and this is absolutely the most successful road weekend we've had in my time here. Indiana and Louisville are both very good teams who will beat a lot of good teams this season. We are looking forward to the challenge of playing against three good teams at home next weekend."
Victories at the No. 1 and 3 positions gave the doubles point to Dartmouth. Senior Max Fliegner and freshman Peter Conklin had a 6-2 win at the No. 3 spot, while a win of the same score by sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer over the sixth-ranked doubles team in the nation at No. 1 gave the Green a 1-0 advantage.
Dartmouth soon had a 3-0 lead after senior Ciro Riccardi defeated Ciro Lampasas, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 5 position and Horneffer took down Federico Gomez, 7-5, 6-3, at the No. 3 position. Louisville’s lone point came at the No. 6 singles, but a 6-4, 6-4 win by Fliegner at the No. 4 spot clinched the victory for the Big Green.
Next weekend, Dartmouth will be back at Boss, facing Minnesota on Friday, and Rice and Bryant on Sunday.
1) Horneffer/Broom (Dartmouth) def. No. 6 Morin-Kougoucheff/Wynn (LOU), 6-2
2) Gomez/Lancaster (LOU) vs. Glasnovic/Martin (Dartmouth), 5-3, DNF
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Hedley/Lampasas (LOU), 6-2
Order of finish: 3,1
1) No. 75 Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU) vs. Broom (Dartmouth), 4-6, 6-6, DNF
2) Rouanet (LOU) vs. Martin (Dartmouth), 7-5, 3-3, DNF
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Gomez (LOU), 7-5, 6-3
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Lancaster (LOU), 6-4, 6-4
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Lampasas (LOU), 6-1, 6-1
6) Hedley (LOU) def. Speicher (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 5,3,6,4