HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth men’s tennis blanked both Binghamton and Quinnipiac during its first weekend of dual matches. The Big Green are now 2-0 on the season.
“Our team did a terrific job today being ready to start both matches with the right amount of energy and intensity,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We had strong starts in all six doubles sets and that carried over to singles. Every match teaches us something about our team and we will take what we learned today and use it to help us prepare for two very tough opponents next Saturday.
Dartmouth vs. Binghamton
The Big Green had a great start to their day with their 7-0 win over the Bearcats. All three Dartmouth doubles teams defeated their opponents by scores of 6-1. First to finish were freshman Casey Ross and junior Roko Glasnovic at the No. 2 position, while sophomores Charlie Broom and David Horneffer clinched at the top spot. Senior Max Fliegner and freshman Peter Conklin followed with their victory at No. 3.
Horneffer picked up the first singles win, defeating Valentin Bouchet by a score of 6-1, 6-2 at the No. 3 position. Senior Ciro Riccardi was next with his 6-1, 6-4 defeat of Alejandro Pena at No. 5, and Broom clinched the victory by taking down Tiago Lourenco, 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 1 position. Fliegner and freshmen John Speicher and Dan Martin won their matches to wrap things up nicely.
1) Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Irazusta/Cestarollo (Binghamton), 6-1
2) Ross/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Nath/Pena (Binghamton), 6-1
3) Fliegner/Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Lourenco/Bouchet (Binghamton), 6-1
Order of finish: 2,1,3
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Lourenco (Binghamton), 6-4, 6-1
2) Martin (Dartmouth) def. Nath (Binghamton), 7-5, 6-1
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Bouchet (Binghamton), 6-1, 6-2
4) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Irazusta (Binghamton), 7-5, 4-6, (10-3)
5) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Pena (Binghamton), 6-1, 6-4
6) Speicher (Dartmouth) def. Quiros (Binghamton), 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: 3,5,1,6,2,4
Dartmouth vs. Quinnipiac
Hours after taking down Binghamton, the Big Green defeated the Bobcats, 7-0. Broom and Horneffer won at No. 1, and Ross and Glasnovic were victorious at the No. 2 position. Martin and Riccardi paired up this time to win their match, 6-2, at the No. 3 position.
The Big Green won all of their singles matches in two quick sets. Conklin and Ross played at the No. 4 and 5 spots, respectively, and both won their matches by scores of 6-0, 6-0.
Next Saturday, Dartmouth will host Buffalo at 10 a.m. and St. John’s at 4 p.m.
1) Broom/Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Zaretsky/Rozenstein (Quinnipiac), 6-3
2) Ross/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Alper/Cacapero (Quinnipiac), 6-2
3) Martin/Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Stern/Yannone (Quinnipiac), 6-3
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Rozenstein (Quinnipiac), 7-6, 6-1
2) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Zaretsky (Quinnipiac), 6-1, 7-5
3) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Alper (Quinnipiac), 6-4, 6-3
4) Conklin (Dartmouth) def. Cachapero (Quinnipiac), 6-0, 6-0
5) Ross (Dartmouth) def. Stern (Quinnipiac), 6-0, 6-0
6) Speicher (Dartmouth) def. Yannone (Quinnipiac), 6-2, 6-3