PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Dartmouth men's tennis came back from a dropped doubles point to defeat Penn, 4-3, at the Hecht Tennis Center on Saturday. The Big Green improved to 11-13 overall and 3-3 in Ivy League play to sit in fourth in the conference, while the Quakers dipped to 14-10 and 1-4.
“Our team really showed its character today,” head coach Chris Drake said. “Winning an Ivy League road match is a very difficult thing to do. Winning it after losing the doubles point is pretty rare. It can't happen if you don't handle the adversity well, and there will always be some adversity in these matches.
Today, we stayed composed when it occurred and, as a coach, that's gratifying to see from your players,” Drake continued. “We don't take days off from trying to become a better team, and today was a step in the right direction.”
On court two, junior Max Fliegner and freshman Charlie Broom had a 6-2 win over Kyle Mautner and Matt Nardella, but Penn took the first point of the day by winning at the No. 1 and 3 doubles positions.
The Quakers took a 2-0 lead with a win at the No. 2 position to start singles, but three straight victories for the Big Green gave the lead to Dartmouth. Broom won the first point for the visitors with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-0 defeat of Mautner on court one, while classmate David Horneffer took down Max Cancilla, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2 at the No. 5 position. A very close 7-6, 7-6 win by Fliegner over Nardella at the No. 2 position gave the Big Green a 3-2 lead, but Penn tied things up with a three-set victory at the No. 6 spot.
As it has done so many times already this season, the final point came down to senior George Wall. Playing on court four against Nicholai Westergaard, Wall won the first set, 6-4, while Westergaard took the second by a score of 7-6. The Big Green senior easily won the third set, 6-1, to clinch the match.
Dartmouth will close the regular season on Sunday when it faces Princeton at 1 p.m.
1) Westergaard/Rapoport (Penn) def. Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 6-3
2) Broom/Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Mautner/Nardella (Penn), 6-2
3) Spratt/Pompan (Penn) def. Wall/Horneffer (Dartmouth), 7-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Mautner (Penn), 6-3, 2-6, 6-0
2) Pompan (Penn) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-4
3) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Nardella (Penn), 7-6, 7-6
4) Wall (Dartmouth) def. Westergaard (Penn), 6-4, 6-7, 6-1
5) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Cancilla (Penn), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
6) Sharp (Penn) def. Grabill (Dartmouth), 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,1,5,3,6,4