PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Dartmouth men’s tennis won its second straight Ivy League match on Sunday with a 4-1 defeat of Brown at the Pizzitola Sports Center. The Big Green improved to 9-11 overall and 2-1, while the Bears fell to 11-7 and remain winless in conference play with a record of 0-3.
“Collegiate tennis is so competitive these days that any road win is definitely a good result,” head coach Chris Drake said. “We managed to win a close doubles point today by keeping the sets close despite not playing our best tennis. In the end, we executed well and played some good tennis. In singles, it was great to see guys pull away in their second sets after winning the first ones.”
Despite falling at No. 1 doubles, a 6-4 win by senior George Wall and freshman David Horneffer at the No. 2 position and a very close 7-6(3) victory by junior Max Fliegner and freshman Charlie Broom at the No. 3 spot gave the first point to Dartmouth.
The Big Green soon made it 3-0 thanks to a 6-3, 6-0 win by Broom over Peter Tarwid at No. 2 singles and a 6-2, 6-2 defeat of Jack Haworth by junior Ciro Riccardi on court one. The Bears’ lone point of the day came at the No.6 position, but the match was clinched when Wall took down Peter Litsky, 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 5 spot.
Next Saturday and Sunday, Dartmouth will host No. 22 Cornell, No. 25 Columbia and Hofstra.
1) Garcia/Da Silveira (Brown) def. Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 6-1
2) Wall/ Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Tarwid/Arocho (Brown), 6-4
3) Fliegner/Broom (Dartmouth) def. Walker/Haworth (Brown), 7-6(3)
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1) Riccardi (Dartmouth) def. Haworth (Brown), 6-2, 6-2
2) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Tarwid (Brown), 6-3, 6-0
3) Fliegner (Dartmouth) vs. Da Silveira (Brown), 7-6, 2-0, DNF
4) Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Sandberg (Brown), 6-4, 3-3, DNF
5) Wall (Dartmouth) def. Litsky (Brown), 6-4, 6-2
6) Walker (Brown) def. Pedraza (Dartmouth), 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: 2,1,6,5