PRINCETON, N.J. – Dartmouth men’s tennis opened the 2017 ECAC Men’s Indoor Tennis Championship with a 4-1 defeat of Penn. The Big Green are now 3-4 on the season, while the Quakers are 4-4.
“Doubles was solid for us today,” head coach Chris Drake said. “All three teams played with good energy and executed their games well in the big moments. We competed well on all six singles courts, gave ourselves a chance to win at each spot, and pulled out a victory against a good Penn team. We are excited to move on to the semifinal tomorrow.”
Dartmouth jumped out to an early lead courtesy of wins at No. 1 and 3 doubles. At the top spot, senior George Wall and sophomore Roko Glasnovic had a 6-3 win over Nicholai Westergaard and Marshall Sharp, while junior Ciro Riccardi and freshman Charlie Broom defeated Josh Pompan and Thomas Spratt at No. 3 by a score of 6-4.
Broom made it 2-0 with his 6-0, 6-4 victory at the No. 4 singles position, while Penn picked up its lone point of the morning at the No. 1 spot to make it a 2-1 match. Glasnovic put Dartmouth within one point of victory with his very close 7-6, 7-5 win at the No. 6 position and it was Wall’s three-set defeat of Gabe Rappaport at the No. 5 spot that clinched the win for the Big Green.
Dartmouth will play Columbia – which swept St. John’s on the first day of action – at noon on Saturday. The winner will head to the championship match.
1) Wall/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Sharp/Westergaard (Penn), 6-3
2) Horneffer/Fliegner (Dartmouth) vs. Mautner/Nardella (Penn), 5-5, DNF
3) Riccardi/Broom (Dartmouth) def. Pompan/Spratt (Penn), 6-4
Order of finish: 1,3
1) No. 61 Mautner (Penn) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-4
2) Fliegner (Dartmouth) vs. Pompan (Penn), 4-6, 6-6 (2-6), DNF
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Nardella (Penn), 7-6, 1-6, 2-5, DNF
4) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Cancilla (Penn), 6-0, 6-4
5) Wall (Dartmouth) def. Rappaport (Penn), 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
6) Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Sharp (Penn), 7-6, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,1,6,5