IOWA CITY, Iowa – The Dartmouth men’s tennis team dropped a hard-fought match to Iowa on Sunday, falling by a score of 4-3 at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Big Green are now 2-4 on the season, while the Hawkeyes improved to 5-2.
Victories at the No. 2 and 1 doubles positions gave Iowa the first point of the day. At the No. 3 spot, senior Max Schmidt and freshman David Horneffer were slightly trailing Jake Jacoby and Jonas Larsen when the match went unfinished.
The Hawkeyes made it 2-0 with a win at the No. 1 singles, but three straight victories gave the Big Green a 3-2 edge. Horneffer won Dartmouth’s first point in the form of a 6-4, 7-6 defeat of Robin Haden at the No. 3 position, while fellow freshman Charlie Broom had a very close match against Kareem Allaf, ultimately walking away with a 6-7(5-7), 7-6(7-3), 6-3 win. Junior Max Fliegner also had a three-set victory, taking down Josh Silverstein, 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 2 spot.
The remaining two matches also went to three sets, with the one at the No. 6 position going to a tiebreaker, but it was Iowa that won both to take the match.
Next weekend, Dartmouth will host TCU and SMU on the Ivy League Digital Network (ILDN)
1) Theodorou/Silvertein (Iowa) def. Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth), 6-4
2) Allaf/Larsen (Iowa) def. Wall/Fliegner (Dartmouth), 6-3
3) Schmidt/Horneffer (Dartmouth) vs. Jacoby/Haden (Iowa), 3-5, DNF
Order of finish: 2,1
1) Theodorou (Iowa) def. Riccardi (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-3
2) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Silverstein (Iowa), 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Haden (Iowa), 6-4, 7-6
4) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Allaf (Iowa), 6-7(5-7), 7-6(7-3), 6-3
5) Larsen (Iowa) def. Wall (Dartmouth), 6-4, 5-7, 6-4
6) Jacoby (Iowa) def. Schmidt (Dartmouth), 6-1, 3-6, 7-6(7-5)
Order of finish: 1,3,2,4,6,5