PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – Dartmouth men’s tennis played 10 singles matches and three doubles matches on the third day of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northeast Regional Championship at Penn on Saturday, watching away with 10 victories.
The Big Green won all five of their second-round singles matches. Junior Max Fliegner defeated Marist’s Rudolf Kurz (6-3, 6-3), while freshman David Horneffer had a 6-1, 6-0 victory over a player from Drexel and classmate Charlie Broom took down his opponent from Yale (6-4, 6-2).
Seniors George Wall and Max Schmidt both faced players from Princeton; Wall had a 6-1, 6-2 win over Jimmy Wasserman, while Schmidt’s match against Davey Roberts had to go to a third set before the Big Green player walked away with the victory (7-6, 6-7, 6-3).
In the third round of singles, Horneffer and Broom defeated players from Princeton in three sets; Horneffer rebounded from a 6-0 loss in his first set to Alex Day to win the two remaining sets, 6-3, 6-3, while Broom dropped his first set, 7-5, to Tom Colautti, taking the match by winning the next two sets, 7-5, 6-3.
In addition to Horneffer and Broom advancing to the next round in singles, Fliegner/Broom and Pedraza/Glasnovic will play in the Round of 32 for doubles.
2) Fliegner (Dartmouth) def. Kurz (Marist), 6-3, 6-3
2) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Orhan (Drexel), 6-1, 6-0
2) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Heller (Yale), 6-4, 6-2
2) Wall (Dartmouth) def. Wasserman (Princeton), 6-1, 6-2
2) Schmidt (Dartmouth) def. Roberts (Princeton), 7-6, 6-7, 6-3
3) Thirouin (Harvard) def. Fliegner (Dartmouth), 7-6, 6-3
3) Horneffer (Dartmouth) def. Day (Princeton), 0-6, 6-3, 6-3
3) Broom (Dartmouth) def. Colautti (Princeton), 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
3) Pompan (Penn) def. Wall (Dartmouth), 7-6, 6-2
3) Sinclair (Cornell) def. Schmidt (Dartmouth), 6-0, 6-1
2) Fliegner/Broom (Dartmouth) def. Bombannati/Simhadri (BU), 8-5
2) Pedraza/Glasnovic (Dartmouth) def. Vodak/Vaghera (Buffalo), 8-4
2) Hagermoser/Doehler (Yale) def. Schmidt/Horneffer (Dartmouth), 8-4