Related Links

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Play was stopped on Saturday in the middle of the second round during the Macdonald Cup hosted by Yale with only eight of the 17 teams completing 36 holes at the par-70, 6,825-yard facility. One of those eight was the Dartmouth men’s golf team that, despite the inclement weather, managed to maintain consistency over the team rounds, shooting 294 (+14) each time around. The first 294 situated the Big Green in 10th place, but of the eight teams to finish play today, Dartmouth finished up in seventh.

Harvard led the overall team leaderboard after the first round, completing their set with a two-under 278. Just three strokes behind the Crimson was Connecticut, but the Huskies dropped down to fifth place after carding a 288 (+8) in their second go-round. The second-lowest complete round of the day was turned in by Stirling University from the United Kingdom with a 279 (-1) over the second 18, finishing the day with a combined total of 561 (+1) to put them in the lead.

Topping the Big Green was junior Ian Kelsey, who is currently tied for 37th with six other players having shot a combined 145 (+5). Freshman Riley Griffin stepped up his play in the second round with a 71 (+1) to move himself to a tie for 44th, one stroke behind Kelsey. Sophomore John Lazor also rallied by five strokes during his second tour of the day to shoot a nine-over 149. Starting off the first round strong was senior Sean Fahey, who scored a three-over 73 before finishing the day at 10-over par. Completing the team effort was freshman Will Bednarz with an identical 76 (+6) in each round.

Sitting atop the individual leaderboard after the first two rounds aws Matt Naumec from Boston College at seven-under having scored 64-69—133. No other golfer who wrapped up both rounds today is within five strokes of Naumec, although Harvard’s Robert Deng — who was still on the course when play was suspended — nearly matched Naumec over the first 18 holes with a 65 (-5).

The tournament will conclude Sunday morning.