ITHACA, N.Y. – The Dartmouth women’s soccer team concluded the 2016 season with a 4-1 loss to Cornell in Ithaca on Saturday afternoon.

The Big Green finish the season 7-7-2 overall, while the Big Red end their season with a 5-9-2 overall record.

While Dartmouth outshot Cornell by an 18-17 margin, the Big Red controlled the pace of play for the majority of the contest in Cornell’s best offensive performance of the season thus far.

“We didn’t start off today with the mentality that we wanted and Cornell capitalized on the chances they had,” Big Green head coach Ron Rainey said. “We showed heart and desire in a ton of the games we played this year, especially the ones that ended close. I think when our team fights for each other and works hard and does a good job communicating, I feel like we do really well. I thought we took some good steps toward that this year. Overall this season I thought there were a lot of great moments that we will remember fondly.”

Just two minutes into the match, the Big Red struck first when Elizabeth Crowell lined up for a corner kick and sent a ball into the box for a waiting Kailey Joyce, who headed it in for her first goal of the season. After the goal, Dartmouth tried to respond with corner kick and throw in deep in the Cornell zone, but could not set up the equalizer.

The Big Red added to its lead in the 10th minute when Kennedy Yearby worked around the Big Green defense and fired a shot from the top of the box that beat a stretched out Casey Cousineau to the lower right corner of the goal.

Trailing 2-0, Remy Borinsky tried to get her team back into the contest with a hard shot that had to be saved. A few minutes later, freshman goalkeeper Lorna McElrath came into play in relief of Cousineau, who eventually made her return in the second half in her final game in a Dartmouth uniform.

With 10 minutes to play in the half, Cornell’s offense was not done, as the Big Red added a third goal when Paige DeLoach intercepted a Big Green clearing attempt and scored on a short breakaway.

After halftime Cornell picked up where it left off when Karli Berry netted the fourth goal of the game, when she unleashed a shot that ricocheted off the goalpost and in late in the 59th minute.

Dartmouth did manage to get on the scoreboard in the second half when senior Holly Patterson hit Gia Parker with a nice pass in the box, which Parker buried in the right side of the net for the Big Green’s lone score of the day.

“We talked a lot about trying to play balls forward and make runs forward,” Rainey said. “I thought that was a nice combination. I truly felt that if we had got the second one with 15 or 17 minutes left, then we would have been able to continue to create chances. We spotted Cornell too many goals today and that made it hard.”