Related Links

POUGHKEEPSIE, N.Y.  –  Saturday night wrapped up a two-game road trip for the Dartmouth women’s basketball team, that took down Marist in Poughkeepsie, 60-51.


The win moves the Big Green to 5-1, bouncing back after losing to Army on Wednesday, while the Red Foxes move to 1-7.  Junior Cy Lippold led the way with 17 points, while Kate Letkewicz posted her second double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 boards, and Olivia Smith scored 10 points to aid the offense.


“Lessons learned from Army definitely helped prepare us for Marist,” said head coach Belle Koclanes. “It was a total team effort this evening on both ends of the floor. Really proud of our defensive effort all throughout the game but especially in the fourth quarter, in the last media time out we talked about doing our best to not let them score again and we were able to do that.


“We talked to the team about how every single player is important to what we want to accomplish this season, and everyone needs to practice to prepare themselves for when their number is called, but it takes a village, it was a total team effort.”


In the first quarter both teams traded baskets, and Dartmouth was unable to strike out into the kind of lead it had been earlier this season. Turnovers hurt the road team in terms of pulling ahead as Marist scored four points off turnovers and as able to attempt more second-chance baskets with five offensive rebounds in the first.


Heading into the second with only a five-point lead, the Big Green were able to pull farther ahead, scoring more second-chance points and allowing less turnovers. Dartmouth was leading 25-23 with two minutes remaining in the second, until a pair of Maura Fitzpatrick free throws tied the game up with only seconds left on the clock until halftime.


Entering the third period down by one, the road team battled and was taking shots that weren’t falling, but continued to fight. The Red Foxes were sent to the line a total of six times, giving them several more attempts to broaden the lead they had, but Dartmouth was there to grab more rebounds in the third with 13 total boards. Despite the defensive efforts from the Green and White, the home team ended the third period with a five-point lead, up 45-40.


With the last 10 minutes of play ahead, each team continued battle mode, exchanging baskets and eventually tying the game for the fifth and final time, with 1:29 left to play, when Letkewicz was at the line. Her two, good, free throws took the lead for the Big Green with a small window to win the game. Marist’s Alana Gilmer missed a layup which was rebounded by Smith, who took the ball back down the court and set up teammate Paula Lenart to score, taking the lead 54-51 with only 40 seconds left to play.


Lippold was sent to the line twice more in the last 24 seconds and Letkewicz was the final Dartmouth player to shoot free throws, draining both and helping the team take the 60-51 win. The Dartmouth defense was able to hold Marist to only score six points in the fourth quarter, while the offense scored 20 alone in the fourth.


The Big Green shot 36.5 percent from field goal range, 94.7 percent from the free throw line and 36.4 percent from three. The Red Foxes were able to capitalize on more turnover and second chance opportunities, scoring 21 combined from turnovers and second-chance points.


Dartmouth will return home to take on Granite State rival, New Hampshire, on Tuesday, December 5 at 11 a.m. at Leede Arena.