HANOVER, N.H. — Leave it to a freshman to provide the heroics for this reborn Dartmouth Big Green men’s basketball team.

Brendan Barry drained a three-pointer with 2.8 seconds on the clock to lift host Dartmouth (3-9) to a 63-62 victory over New Hampshire (8-5) in the in-state rivalry game at Leede Arena on Saturday afternoon. The win is the third straight for the Big Green since opening the season with nine consecutive losses under first-year head coach David McLaughlin.

The Wildcats’ Jaleen Smith also hit a three-pointer as time expired, but after a review, the shot was nullified for coming a split-second after the buzzer sounded.

The Big Green were trailing by one with 27.9 seconds remaining, but sophomore Evan Boudreaux — who recorded his fifth double-double of the season with 16 points and 10 rebounds — was off the mark on a three-point attempt. David Watkins hauled in the rebound for UNH and was fouled, but after hitting the front end of the one-and-one, missed the second, and Dartmouth raced past mid-court to call a timeout with 5.3 seconds to play.

McLaughlin drew up the play knowing that Boudreaux would draw a crowd. After junior Miles Wright threw the cross-court pass to the second-leading scorer in the Ivy League, Boudreaux immediately dished off to Barry behind the arc. The rookie calmly drilled the seventh three-pointer of his career, and just the fourth in the game for the Big Green on their 22nd attempt.

“Evan is always going to draw a lot of attention, so we drew up a play for him to either take the shot if open or pass to the shooter for the three-pointer,” McLaughlin said after the game. “He made the right read and got us a quality shot. Even though Brendan is a freshman, the entire team has the confidence in him to make that shot, and he did not disappoint.”

The game was an even affair throughout with 13 ties and 10 lead changes, and neither team led by more than six at any point in the contest. In the second half, the difference was never more than four.

It looked as if New Hampshire might pull off the road win when it scored six straight points — the last four by forward Tanner Leissner who a game-high 19 points — to take a 59-55 lead with 1:43 left. But senior Wesley Dickinson drove the baseline and scored on a reverse layup, and Boudreaux followed with a circus three-point play, throwing the ball up as he fell to the floor, only to have it find its way through the hoop. His free throw put Dartmouth back on top with 44.4 seconds showing.

Smith, who contributed 16 points to the Wildcats’s cause, answered immediately with a layup as the 6-4 guard backed down his six-foot defender, Mike Fleming, setting up the game’s thrilling finish.

Boudreaux came out firing in the first half, popping a trey to start the scoring and recording 11 of the Big Green’s first 17 points. When freshman Ian Sistare laid one in, Dartmouth enjoyed an early 19-13 edge. But the Wildcats ripped off 12 straight points beginning and ending with Leissner buckets.

The Big Green gathered themselves, however, and knotted the score at 27 and again at 29 before Leissner had the final say of the opening half with a bucket down low for a 31-29 lead at the intermission.

Following that Boudreaux three-pointer to start the game, Dartmouth misfired on its next 12 attempts from downtown until Barry canned a triple to tie the game at 45 with 11:38 to play. Iba Camara answered with a thunderous dunk on a fastbreak, and Smith scored the next six UNH points to put the Wildcats up 53-49.

Fleming closed the gap to one by rattling in a three-pointer, and Dickinson (making his first start of the season) put the Green back on top, 54-53, with a layup. Wright hit the second of two free throws for Dartmouth’s only lead greater than one in the second half, 55-53, before New Hampshire roared back, ending a scoring drought that lasted nearly six minutes.

After struggling with its shot in the first half, Dartmouth canned 50 percent (13-of-26) in the second stanza to finish the afternoon hitting 42.9 field goals (24-of-56). The team’s 18.2 percent showing (4-of-22) behind the arc was mitigated a bit by converting 11-of-14 (.786) foul shots.

The Wildcats ended the game shooting 47.2 percent (25-of-53) and 31.3 percent (5-of-16) behind the arc with Daniel Dion providing three of the trifectas while scoring 11 points. They attempted just 10 free throws, making seven.

On the boards, the Big Green had a 34-28 advantage with Boudreaux leading the way. Dartmouth also forced 16 turnovers and committed 14 of its own, but UNH was better at turning those miscues into points, besting the Green, 15-8, in that department.

Guilien Smith was the only other player for Dartmouth to score in double figures with 12 points on 5-of-11 shooting one game after posting a career-best 29 in a win at Bryant.

Next up for the Big Green is a rematch of last year’s seven-point loss at Cal State Bakersfield (8-6) on Tuesday, Jan. 3 at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on the Ivy League Digital Network, as will every remaining Dartmouth game this season. New Hampshire returns to Durham to host Wheelock on Monday at 1 p.m.

Notes: Dartmouth had lost the last five games on its home court against New Hampshire … the Wildcats maintain a slim 38-37 edge in the all-time series … Boudreaux has led the Big Green in scoring in 10 of the 12 games, and in rebounding 11 times … this was Dartmouth’s first home win (1-3) under McLaughlin.