HANOVER, N.H. — Dartmouth dug itself a 20-point hole in the first half and come up just short of climbing its way out as visiting Brown handed the Big Green an 80-75 defeat on Friday night at Leede Arena. Six players scored in double figures for the Bears (12-15, 3-8 Ivy), which snapped a five-game skid, while sophomore Evan Boudreaux led all players with 25 points and 10 rebounds for Dartmouth (6-18, 3-8 Ivy).

Brown managed to overcome 32 fouls in a game, partly by shooting 21-of-25 (.840) from the charity stripe as the two teams combined to get whistled a whopping 55 times. Dartmouth, on the other hand, converted just 68.4 percent (26-of-38) in the game of attrition.

After Boudreaux opened the game with a three-pointer from the left wing, not much else went right for the Big Green in the first half. Brown got the rim early and often, hitting 13 of its first 14 shots inside the arc while ballooning its advantage to 20 points at 32-12 with seven minutes to play in the period.

But when Josh Howard scored on a layup with 3:38 still showing, the Dartmouth defense clamped down and held the Bears scoreless until the buzzer sounded for the intermission, whittling the deficit down to 11 at 38-27. The Big Green ended the half on a 7-0 run with the last five points coming at the line as Brown committed 13 fouls over the first 20 minutes.

It took barely five minutes for both teams to find themselves in the bonus in the second stanza, though the difference remained 11 at 48-37 after freshman Ian Carter knocked down a three-pointer for Dartmouth. Brown proceeded to score six points in less than 40 seconds on four free throws and a layup, boosting its lead back to 17.

The Big Green went back to work, gradually pulling closer, and finally cutting the deficit back to single digits on a short fadeaway jumper by Boudreuax, who was 7-of-17 from the floor on the evening. Just 30 seconds later, junior Taylor Johnson — who produced 14 points off the bench one game after hitting an overtime game-winner against Columbia — rained down a three-pointer from the top of the key to bring Dartmouth within eight at 59-51 with nearly 10 minutes still to come.

It took nearly four more minutes for the Green to cut it to a six-point game at 65-59 when freshman Ian Sistare drove to the basket for two. But J.R. Hobbie stretched the Brown advantage back to double digits three minutes later at 74-63 with one of his two triples on the night with 3:28 to play.

Dartmouth still trailed by 11 after trading free throws and baskets before rattling off eight straight points, the last five by Johnson on another trifecta and a layup, making it a one-possession game at 78-75 with 53 ticks remaining. A Brown turnover gave the Big Green an opportunity to possibly tie the score, but Johnson drove to the basket only to have his layup just roll off the rim before Obi Okolie plucked the ball away. Two Hobbie free throws, giving him 11 points on the night, sealed the Bears’ victory.

Brown ended the game shooting 51.9 percent (27-of-52) from the floor, but just 26.3 percent (5-of-19) from long range while holding a slight 30-28 advantage on the glass with Travis Fuller leading the way with nine rebounds. Steven Spieth and Tavon Blackmon each had 14 points to lead the Bears, though Spieth fouled out with more than three minutes to play. Each member of the starting five scored in double figures and combined to shoot 60 percent (21-of-35) for the game.

Like Brown, Dartmouth struggled from the outside at 5-of-18 (.278), but finished under 45 percent (22-of-51, .431) overall from the floor. Sophomore Guilien Smith joined his classmate in double figures with 17 points, despite sitting out for a majority of the second half for getting hit with four fouls in the first 6:30 of the period. Senior Mike Fleming chipped in 10 points, two weeks after hitting up the Bears for a career-high 17, and Boudreaux’s double-double was his league-leading 13th of the season as well as the 23rd of his career, the most in the recorded history of the program.

Dartmouth will host a slumping Yale (14-10, 6-5 Ivy) squad that has dropped four straight since beating the Big Green back on Feb. 10. The game will tip at 7 p.m. and be streamed live on both the Ivy League Digital Network and ESPN3 with Bob Lipman and Wayne Young ’72 calling the action from courtside. Brown heads over to Cambridge, Massachusetts, to take on Harvard (17-7, 9-2 Ivy) at 8 p.m.

Notes: Dartmouth had an opportunity to sweep the season series from the Bears for the first time since 2005, but settled for the eighth split in the last dozen seasons … the last time the Big Green played in a game with at least 50 fouls between the two teams was Feb. 26 of last year, conicidentally at Brown (both teams had 26), a game Dartmouth lost in overtime … the last time the Green rallied from a deficit of 20 or more points to win also came against the Bears. Two years ago, Brown led by 24 with less than 14 minutes to play, only to see Dartmouth storm back and take a 75-69 contest at Leede Arena on March 6, 2015 ... individual rebound totals by game date back only to the 1968-69 season ... the Green are 0-6 on Friday night this season.