HANOVER, N.H. — It's not often that you get a second chance to be the hero.

Dartmouth junior Taylor Johnson thought he had the game won in regulation when he drained a three-pointer at the buzzer, only to be denied when the video review showed the shot came a split-second too late. Instead, he had to wait another four minutes and 59 seconds to be the hero when he drove the length of the floor and laid in a shot with one second to play, giving the Big Green (6-17, 3-7 Ivy) a thrilling 80-79 victory over visiting Columbia (10-13, 4-6 Ivy) on Saturday night at Leede Arena.

Johnson finished the game with a season-high 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting with four three-pointers as Dartmouth drained 13 from distance, the most for the Big Green in over 13 years. Sophomore Guilien Smith led all players with 23 points on his 8-of-14 night from the floor with three triples, and classmate Evan Boudreaux recorded his 12th double-double of the year — the most by a Dartmouth player in over 50 years — with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

When Columbia point guard Mike Smith converted two foul shots to give him 14 points in the game with 20.9 seconds left in the overtime period, the situation was bleak for the Big Green. But Boudreaux was able to knock down a three-pointer with 12.5 seconds left, and after a timeout, Johnson fouled Quinton Adlesh with 7.7 ticks left.

Just 9-of-12 at the line entering the game, Adlesh misfired on both attempts, and Johnson snared the rebound. He junior proceeded to dribble the entire length of the floor, stumbling part of the way, but managed to get to the rim and drop the ball through with 1.0 seconds showing. Columbia’s inbound pass was intercepted, giving the Big Green their third Ivy League win of the season.

Dartmouth led by as many as 12 in the second half after Johnson ripped off his fourth three-pointer of the game in as many attempts, giving the Green a 60-48 advantage with 8:54 to play. That lead was still in double figures with 5:40 remaining at 66-56 when Boudreaux got three points the hard way.

But Columbia held Dartmouth to a single free throw over the next four minutes as the Lions closed the gap to three. Boudreaux snapped the drought with a tough lean-in jumper in the lane, but Columbia was able to tie the game at 69 on a three-point play from Nate Hickman, who had 16 points, and a 14-footer by Mike Smith with 1:08 left on the clock.

The Big Green had a chance to take the lead, but Guilien Smith could not sink either foul shot. Luke Petrasek, who led the Lions with 18 points, could not get a shot from in close to fall, and Dartmouth called timeout after Boudreaux gathered the rebound with 4.5 seconds left in regulation. Johnson brought the ball up the floor, but took just a little too long to fire off his 26-footer, which swished through the net and momentarily thrilled the crowd of 829.

In the overtime period, Columbia quickly got buckets from Adlesh and Petrasek while the Big Green turned the ball over on their first two possessions. A Dartmouth free throw and another Lion layup boosted Columbia’s advantage to five at 75-70 with 2:44 to go.

The Big Green tried to make up ground with the long ball, which was so good to the team all night, but missed on two attempts in one possession. The next time down the floor, however, freshman Brendan Barry dialed it up from the corner in front of the Dartmouth bench to whittle the deficit to two.

The two teams traded buckets, the Big Green’s coming courtesy of a goal-tending call, before Smith knocked down his two free throws to set up the game’s final 20 seconds.

While Dartmouth led for less than two minutes of the first half, the Lions could never build a lead larger than five points. Petrasek rained down a three-pointer for a four-point lead with a minute before the intermission, but senior Wesley Dickinson laid in a shot and Guilien Smith provided two free throws to knot the score at 35 at the break.

The Big Green finished the game shooting 49.2 percent (29-of-59) and even better from the outside at 52.0 percent (13-of-25), but just 47.4 percent (9-of-19) at the line. Dartmouth was able to overcome 18 turnovers by owning a 38-33 advantage on the glass.

On the other end of the court, Columbia hit on 29-of-61 field goals (.475) but just 6-of-17 three-point attempts (.353). The Lions did convert 15-of-23 (.652) at the line and scored 18 points off of the Big Green’s 189 miscues.

Dartmouth will play the role of host again next weekend when Brown (11-15, 2-8 Ivy) and Yale (14-8, 6-3 Ivy) come to town on Friday and Saturday, respectively. Both games will be streamed live on the Ivy League Digital Network, while the game against Bulldogs on Saturday will also be simulcast on ESPN3. Columbia returns to New York next weekend to host league-leading Princeton and Penn in a game that will likely have a big effect on fourth place for the coveted last spot in the inaugural Ivy League Tournament.

Notes: Dartmouth last hit at least 13 three-pointers in a game against Tufts on Dec. 4, 2003, when it splashed down 15 in just 21 attempts from deep ... the last instance against a Division I team came nine months earlier in a 70-53 triumph over Cornell on March 1, 2003, when the Big Green dropped 14 triples on the Big Red ... all three Dartmouth Ivy League victories this year have featured at least 12 three-point field goals ... the Big Green had lost their previous three overtime games, with the last victory coming against Northern Illinois on Dec. 19, 2014 ... the only known player to record a dozen double-doubles in a season before Boudreaux was Dartmouth great Rudy LaRusso ’59, who had 22 in his senior season. Individual ame-by-game rebound records are not available prior to the 1968-69 season, save LaRusso’s final campaign in Hanover.