HANOVER, N.H. – Dartmouth women’s tennis defeated Cornell, 5-2, to open its final home weekend of the regular season. The Big Green improved to 9-10 overall and 2-2 in Ivy League play, while the Big Red dipped to 6-11 and remain winless with an 0-4 conference mark.
A 6-3 victory by senior Julia Schroeder and freshman Abigail Chiu at No. 1 doubles, and a 6-2 win by senior Kristina Mathis and sophomore Racquel Lyn at No. 2 put Dartmouth ahead going into singles. While they did not finish their match, junior Allison Chuang and freshman Maddie Hwang were leading, 5-4.
First to complete their singles match was Chiu, who took down Mariko Iinuma, 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 3 position to make it 2-0 in the Green’s favor. Hwang added a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of Ana Elhom at the No. 5 spot, while a 6-1, 7-6(3) victory by No. 115 Mathis – who is ranked for the first time this season – clinched for the home team.
Lyn took down Madison Stevens, 6-2, 7-5, at No. 4 to give the Big Green one more win, while the Big Red picked up two victories of their own.
Dartmouth will take on Columbia at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Seniors Mathis, Schroeder and Shannon Mukerji will be playing their final matches at the Boss Tennis Center.
1) Schroeder/Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Shah/Dua (Cornell), 6-3
2) Mathis/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Wang/Iinuma (Cornell), 6-2
3) Hwang/Chuang (Dartmouth) vs. Elhom/Stevens (Cornell), 5-4, DNF
1) No. 115 Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Shah (Cornell), 6-1, 7-6(3)
2) Dua (Cornell) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-1, 7-6(5)
3) Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Iinuma (Cornell), 6-2, 6-2
4) Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Stevens (Cornell), 6-2, 7-5
5) Hwang (Dartmouth) def. Elhom (Cornell), 6-3, 6-3
6) Wang (Cornell) def. McCann (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4