PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Dartmouth women’s tennis fell to Brown, 6-1, at the Pizzitola Tennis Courts on Sunday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 8-10 overall and 1-2 in Ivy League play, while the Bears improved to 9-10 and 2-1.
A Brown victory at No. 2 doubles and a 6-4 win by freshman Maddie Hwang and junior Allison Chuang at No. 3 left it all down to play at the No. 1 position between senior Julia Schroeder and freshman Abigail Chiu, and Maddie Stearns Courtney Kowalsky. Tied at 6-6, the Bears took the tiebreak, 7-2, to give the home team the first point of the day.
Bear wins at the No. 1,3 and 2 singles positions allowed Brown to clinch the victory with a 4-0 advantage. Chiu got Dartmouth on the board with her 7-6, 4-6, 6-3 defeat of Kowalsky at the No. 4 spot, but two more wins for the Bears at the No. 5 and 6 positions ended the match.
Next weekend, Dartmouth will host its final regular-season matches, taking on Cornell and Columbia.
1) Stearns/Kowalsky (Brown) def. Chiu/Schroeder (Dartmouth), 7-6(2)
2) Benotto/Jack (Dartmouth) def. Mathis/Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-3
3) Hwang/Chuang (Dartmouth) def. Ta/Simon (Brown), 6-4
1) Stearns (Brown) def. Mathis (Dartmouth), 7-6, 6-3
2) Benotto (Brown) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
3) Jack (Brown) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 7-6, 6-3
4) Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Kowalsky (Brown), 7-6, 4-6, 6-3
5) Cosme (Brown) def. Hwang (Dartmouth), 6-3, 7-6(5)
6) Simon (Brown) def. McCann (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-2