DURHAM, N.C. – Dartmouth women’s tennis returned to the court after a two-week hiatus, falling to No. 4 Duke, 7-0, at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 5-4, while the Blue Devils improved to 7-1.
Duke grabbed the first point of the day with 6-2 victories at both the No. 1 and 3 doubles positions. At No. 2, senior Kristina Mathis and sophomore Racquel Lyn were leading Samantha Harris and Kelly Chen – ranked sixth in the latest ITA national rankings – by a score of 5-3 when their match went unfinished.
Dartmouth played very well against a team that had four of its players appear in the national rankings for singles. The Blue Devils won the six singles matches, but not without the Big Green putting up a fight. At the top spot, senior Julia Schroeder played a good match against No. 10 Samantha Harris, falling by a score of 6-2, 6-3.
The Green will be back at the Boss Tennis Center for the first time in a month to host UMass on Saturday.
1) No. 3 McCarthy/Hamlin (Duke) def. Schroeder/Chiu (Dartmouth), 6-2
2) Lyn/Mathis (Dartmouth) vs. No. Harris, Chen (Duke), 5-3, DNF
3) Chi/Zhao (Duke) def. Cable/Chuang (Dartmouth), 6-2
1) No. 10 Harris (Duke) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-3
2) No. 22 Chen (Duke) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-1, 6-2
3) No. 87 McCarthy (Duke) def. Chiu (Dartmouth), 6-0, 6-1
4) No. 47 Chi (Duke) def. Cable (Dartmouth), 6-1, 6-3
5) Zhao (Duke) def. Guan (Dartmouth), 6-1, 6-3
6) Smaller (Duke) def. Hwang (Dartmouth), 6-1, 6-1