SAN DIEGO, Calif. – The Dartmouth women’s tennis team fell to Fresno State, 5-2, in a neutral-site match at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club on Saturday. The Big Green are now 7-6 on the season, while the Bulldogs improved to 4-10.
Fresno State took the very close doubles point after winning at the No. 1 and 3 positions, the former in a tiebreak. At the No. 2 spot, senior Kristina Mathis and sophomore Racquel Lyn took down Alessia Dario and Juliane Triebe by a score of 6-2.
The teams traded points in singles, keeping things close throughout most of the match. Freshman Maddie Hwang had a 6-0, 6-2 defeat of Olivia Noble at the No. 6 position, and a Bulldog win at No. 3 put Fresno State back on top, but only for a few minutes before senior Julia Schroeder’s 7-5, 7-6(1) victory over Katerina Stloukalova at the No. 2 position and made it a 2-2 match.
Dartmouth continued to fight, but Fresno State wins at No. 1, 3 and 4 gave the Bulldogs the victory.
On Tuesday, March 20, the Green will take on Pepperdine.
1) Wilson/Lawson (Fresno State) def. Schroeder/Chiu (Dartmouth), 7-6(3)
2) Mathis/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Triebe/Dario (Fresno State), 6-2
3) Stloukalova/Noble (Fresno State) def. Hwang/Chuang (Dartmouth), 6-4
1) Wilson (Fresno State) def. Mathis (Dartmouth), 1-6, 6-4, 7-6(4)
2) Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Stloukalova (Fresno State), 7-5, 7-6(1)
3) Ndunda (Fresno State) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-1
4) Trieba (Fresno State) def. Chiu (Dartmouth), 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
5) Dario (Fresno State) def. Guan (Dartmouth), 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
6) Hwang (Dartmouth) def. Noble (Fresno State), 6-0, 6-2