RANCHO SANTE FE, Calif. – Dartmouth women’s tennis opened spring break with a 4-3 victory over San Diego State in a neutral-site match at the Santa Fe Tennis Club. The Big Green improved to 7-5 on the season, while the Aztecs dipped to 7-8.
Junior Allison Chuang and freshman Maddie Hwang got things started with a 6-2 victory at No. 3 doubles, but SDSU followed that up with a 6-2 win at No. 3. Senior Kristina Mathis and sophomore Racquel Lyn came from behind to win at the No. 2 position, 7-6(3), clinching the doubles point.
Mathis soon made it a 2-0 match with her 6-3, 6-4 win over Jane Buth at the top spot, but Aztec victories at the No. 5 and 6 positions tied the score at two apiece. Freshman Abigail Chiu took down Nnena Nadozie, 7-5, 6-4, at No. 4, but an SDSU win at the No. 3 position tied it up again.
With it all coming down to play at the No. 2 spot, senior Julia Schroeder dropped her first set to Paola Diaz de Regules, 7-5, but rebounded to win the remaining two by scores of 6-4 to give the Green the win.
On Saturday, Dartmouth will take on Fresno State.
1) Smith/Moinard (SDSU) def. Chiu/Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-2
2) Mathis/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Buth/Diaz (SDSU), 7-6(3)
3) Hwang/Chuang (Dartmouth) def. Nadozie/Mulburger (SDSU), 6-2
1) Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Buth (SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
2) Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Diaz (SDSU), 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
3) Moinard (SDSU) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 7-5, 6-4
4) Chiu (Dartmouth) def. Nadozie (SDSU), 7-5, 6-4
5) Mulburger (SDSU) def. Guan (Dartmouth), 6-3, 7-5
6) Smith (SDSU) def. Hwang (Dartmouth), 6-4, 6-4