ANN ARBOR, Mich. – No. 45 Dartmouth women's tennis fought back from a 2-0 deficit to tie the match at two-all, but ultimately fell to No. 17 Kentucky, 4-2, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday morning.
The Big Green wrapped up the 2016-17 campaign with a record of 17-5, while the Wildcats improved to 17-8 and will play the winner of the Michigan/Youngstown State matchup on Saturday.
“Like they did all year, this team fought hard and represented Dartmouth so well on the national stage,” head coach Bob Dallis said. “Although we are disappointed that we didn't come away with the win, we're proud to have pushed one of the country's top teams to the brink and showed how tough our Ivy League players are.
I couldn't be prouder of this team and our senior co-captains, Taylor and Jacqueline,” Dallis continued. “These two have left quite a legacy and we'll miss them a lot.”
Kentucky won the doubles point by winning on court one by a score of 6-0 and following that up with a 6-1 victory at the No. 3 position. At No. 2, junior Julia Schroeder and freshman Racquel Lyn were leading Akvile Parazinskaite and Morgan Chumney, 5-2, when their match went unfinished.
The Wildcats soon had a 2-0 lead by starting singles with a win at No. 5 singles, but junior Kristina Mathis got the Big Green on the board soon after. Playing Mami Adachi on court three, Mathis had an easy, 6-1, 6-3 win to pull Dartmouth within one of Kentucky. Schroeder tied the match at 2-2 with her 6-2, 7-5 victory over Emily Fanning at No. 4.
The Wildcats pulled back ahead after winning on court six to make it 3-2 with two very close matches still going. At No. 1, Aldila Sutjiadi claimed the first set, 6-3, before senior Taylor Ng battled to take the second by a score of 7-6(5). A 6-4 win by Sutjiadi in the third set clinched the win for Kentucky. Fellow senior Jacqueline Crawford was tied with Parazinskaite, 5-5, in the third set when her match was abandoned.
1) Sutjiadi/Adachi (UK) def. Ng/Mathis (Dartmouth), 6-0
2) Schroeder/Lyn (Dartmouth) vs. Chumney/Parazinskaite (UK), 5-2, DNF
3) Mikulskyte/Fanning (UK) def. Crawford/Kiven (Dartmouth), 6-1
Order of finish: 1,3
1) No. 22 Sutjiadi (UK) def. Ng (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-4
2) No. 103 Parazinskaite (UK) vs. Crawford (Dartmouth), 6-2, 5-7, 5-5, DNF
3) Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Adachi (UK), 6-1, 6-3
4) Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Fanning (UK), 6-2, 7-5
5) Mikulskyte (UK) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-0, 6-3
6) Chumney (UK) def. McCann (Dartmouth), 6-3, 7-6(4)
Order of finish: 5,3,4,6,1