HANOVER, N.H. – No. 44 Dartmouth women’s tennis defeated Penn in a very close match by a score of 4-3 at the Boss Tennis on Saturday. The Big Green improved to 16-4 overall and 4-2 in Ivy League play, while the Quakers dipped to 10-9 and 3-3.
Dartmouth won the doubles point following victories at No. 1 and 2. On court one, senior Taylor Ng and junior Kristina Mathis had a 6-1 win over Kana Daniel and Ojasvinee Singh, while junior Julia Schroeder and freshman Racquel Lyn took down Lina Qostal and Ria Vaidya.
The Big Green soon had a 3-0 lead over the Quakers following a 7-5, 6-0 win by Schroeder at No. 4 and a 6-3, 6-1 victory by Mathis at the No. 3 position. Penn got back in the match with three straight wins at No. 6, 1 and 5 to tie the score at 3-3.
At the No. 2 spot, senior Jacqueline Crawford and Vaidya played a very tough three-setter to decide the winner of the match. Crawford took the first set, 7-5, while Vaidya won the second, 7-6(5). In the third set, the Big Green senior captain walked away with a 6-3 win to clinch the match.
Dartmouth will play its final match of the regular season on Sunday when it takes on Princeton at 1 p.m. on the Ivy League Digital Network (ILDN).
1) Ng/Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Daniel/Singh (Penn), 6-1
2) Schroeder/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Qostal/Vaidya (Penn), 6-3
3) Kowalska/Vazhenina (Penn) def. Crawford/Kiven (Dartmouth), 6-2
1) No. 105 Daniel (Penn) def. Ng (Dartmouth), 6-2, 7-5
2) Crawford (Dartmouth) def. Vaidya (Penn), 7-5, 6-7(5), 6-3
3) Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Zhu (Penn), 6-3, 6-1
4) Schroeder (Dartmouth) def. Qostal (Penn), 7-5, 6-0
5) Dreyfuss (Penn) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
6) Kowalska (Penn) def. McCann (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3