LA JOLLA, Calif. – No. 39 Dartmouth women’s tennis played a good match, but ultimately fell to No. 46 Denver, 4-3, at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club on Friday. The Big Green dipped to 12-2 and ended its trip in California with a record of 3-1, while the Pioneers improved to 8-5 on the season.
A 6-2 win by Denver at the No. 2 doubles started the day off, but a 6-3 victory by senior Jacqueline Crawford and freshman Allison McCann at No. 3 left it up to court one. Junior Julia Schroeder and freshman Racquel Lyn played hard, falling to Bianca Mok and Morgan Barnhill, 6-2.
Pioneer wins at the No. 2 and 4 positions gave Denver a 3-0 edge early on in singles, but three-set victories by Lyn at No. 5 and McCann at No. 6 put Dartmouth within one (3-2). Senior Taylor Ng’s three-set defeat of Julia O’Loughlin at the No. 1 position tied the score at 3-3.
Junior Kristina Mathis and Mok continued play on court three. Mathis won the first set, 6-0, while Mok took the second by a score of 7-6 to send the match to a third set. In the final set, Mok walked away with a 6-3 victory to clinch the match.
Dartmouth will return to Hanover to open Ivy League play against Harvard on Saturday, April 1.
1) O’Loughlin/Slattery (Denver) def. Ng/Mathis (Dartmouth), 6-4
2) Mok/Barnhill (Denver) def. Schroeder/Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-2
3) McCann/Crawford (Dartmouth) def. Radosevic/Mboko (Denver), 6-3
1) Ng (Dartmouth) def. O’Loughlin (Denver), 1-6, 7-6, 6-3
2) Slattery (Denver) def. Crawford (Dartmouth), 6-0, 6-4
3) Mok (Denver) def. Mathis (Dartmouth), 0-6, 7-6, 6-3
4) Radosevic (Denver) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-3
5) Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Koke (Denver), 0-6, 6-2, 6-0
6) McCann (Dartmouth) def. Barnhill (Denver), 4-6, 6-0, 6-1