LONG BEACH, Calif. – Senior Jacqueline Crawford won a very close three-setter to lift the No. 39 Dartmouth women’s tennis team to a 4-3 victory over Long Beach State on Thursday at the Rhodes Tennis Center. The Big Green improved to 12-1 and were just the third team this season to defeat the 49ers, which dipped to 11-3.
This is the first time that Dartmouth has ever defeated the Big West powerhouse.
A 6-2 win by junior Julia Schroeder and freshman Racquel Lyn at No. 2 doubles started the day off, but Maren Helgo and Natalia Munoz followed that up with a 6-3 victory at the No. 3 position. At No. 1, senior Taylor Ng and junior Kristina Mathis took down Maeva Razakasoa and Julie Gerard, 6-3, to give Dartmouth a 1-0 lead.
Freshman Chuyang Guan made it 2-0 with a 6-4, 6-0 defeat of Laura Eales at No. 6. Long Beach got its first win of the day at the No. 4 singles and, following a 6-2, 6-2 victory by Mathis at the No. 3 spot, the score was 3-1 in Dartmouth’s favor.
Wins at No. 1 and 5 for the 49ers tied the score at 3-3 and the deciding point was on court two. Crawford won the first set, 7-6(4-0) before dropping the second to Gerard, 6-3. The Big Green senior easily won the third, 6-2, to take the match.
Dartmouth will end its trip on the West Coast by facing No. 46 Denver. This will be the Big Green’s first ranked opponent of the season.
1) Ng/Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Razakasoa/Gerard (Long Beach), 6-3
2) Schroeder/Lyn (Dartmouth) def. Pacholski/Eales (Long Beach), 6-2
3) Helgo/Munoz (Long Beach) def. McCann/Crawford (Dartmouth), 6-3
1) Razakasoa (Long Beach) def. Ng (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-0
2) Crawford (Dartmouth) def. Gerard (Long Beach), 7-6(7-4), 3-6, 6-2
3) Mathis (Dartmouth) def. Helgo (Long Beach), 6-2, 6-2
4) Pacholski (Long Beach) def. Schroeder (Dartmouth), 6-3, 6-4
5) Munoz (Long Beach) def. Lyn (Dartmouth), 6-2, 6-3
6) Guan (Dartmouth) def. Eales (Long Beach), 6-4, 6-0