CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Saturday night the Dartmouth women’s squash team faced Williams College in the semifinals of the 2018 College Women’s National Team Championships and came out on top, 9-0.
The Big Green had taken down the Ephs on the road earlier this season, 6-3, but Williams had been more successful since the two teams met.
In the first round, freshman Sandra Reiss went to work in a hard, four-game match but secured the first win for the team. Sophomore Julia Potter rose to the occasion, also winning in four hard-hitting games. Last on court in the first round was senior co-captain Zainab Molani who took the win in four.
In the second round, perhaps feeling the momentum, Dartmouth went on to win all matches in 3-0 sweeps. Senior co-captain Rebecca Brownell, senior Janel Gaube and junior Emma Roberts all handled their opponents swiftly.
The last round saw freshman Ellie Gozigian win in three close games. Sophomore Annie Blasberg showed determination and resolve that never wavered, winning in three games, 17-15 in the final. Last but not least freshman Brynn Bank played the longest match of the day, coming through in five games after dropping the first to games.
Dartmouth advances to the final to face Drexel in the Kurtz Cup today.
- Anne Blasberg (D) def. Nicole Friedman (W): 11-7, 11-5, 17-15
- Rebecca Brownell (D) def. Hayley Parsons (W): 11-9, 11-8, 15-13
- Sandra Reiss (D) def. Julia Ward (W): 11-4, 4-11, 11-9, 12-10
- Brynn Bank (D) def. Esther Baek (W): 6-11, 7-11, 11-7, 11-9, 11-7
- Janel Gaube (D) def. Ananya Mahalingam-Dhingra (W): 12-10, 11-8, 11-8
- Julia Potter (D) def. Sarah Willwerth (W): 9-11, 12-10, 11-6, 11-9
- Ellie Gozigian (D) def. Abigail LeBlanc (W): 11-8, 11-8, 11-9
- Emma Roberts (D) def. Melissa Swann (W): 11-8, 11-8, 11-6
- Zainab Molani (D) def. Caroline Hogan (W): 11-8, 17-15, 9-11, 11-4