ITHACA, N.Y. – Sunday capped weekend action for the No. 10 Dartmouth women’s squash team who took a journey in the snow to Ithaca, New York to face No. 8 Cornell, where the home team held out for a 7-2 win.
Dartmouth moves to 4-3 on the season and falls to 0-3 in conference play as Cornell improves to 4-2, with a 1-2 Ivy League mark.
First up for the Big Green were co-captain Becky Brownell, sophomore Julia Potter and freshman Ellie Gozigian. The Big Red came out strong, taking down Brownell in a three-game sweep, while Potter and Gozigian fell 3-1 each.
The second round saw junior Emma Roberts go down 3-1, and freshman Brynn Bank followed suit, only able to get one game off her opponent. Sophomore Annie Blasberg was the last player in the second round who played at a furious pace against an unorthodox left-hander. Blasberg won the match in five games to get the first win for the road team.
Round three started strong with co-captain Zainab Molani winning a tough five-gamer, but the momentum could not be sustained as Dartmouth lost the final two matches, when freshman Sandra Reiss and senior Janel Gaube both were swept 3-0.
The Big Green returns to action on Tuesday taking on No. 2 Trinity in Hartford, Connecticut.
- Annie Blasberg (D) def. Emma Uible, 11-3, 6-11, 11-7, 11-13, 11-5
- Michele Garceau (C) def. Rebecca Brownell, 11-6, 11-6, 11-9
- Margaux Losty(C) def. Sandra Reiss, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4
- Nghi Nguyen(C) def. Brynn Bank, 7-11, 11-5, 11-7, 11-4
- Madison Miles (C) def. Janel Gaube, 11-7, 11-8, 11-9
- Colby Gallagher (C) def. Julia Potter, 12-10, 9-11, 11-4, 12-10
- Charlotte Knaggs (C) def. Ellie Gozigian, 11-5, 9-11, 11-3, 11-8
- Lucy Martin (C) def. Emma Roberts, 11-8, 11-9, 11-13, 11-6
- Zainab Molani (D) def. Hannah Scherl, 11-7, 8-11, 5-11, 12-10, 11-4