PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Dartmouth men’s lacrosse ended the 2018 season with a 20-6 loss to Brown at Stevenson-Pincince Field on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green conclude the year with an overall record of 2-11 and 0-6 in Ivy League play, while the Bears improved to 6-8 and 3-3 and will move on to the conference tournament.

Three players had two points apiece: Ben Martin (2G), George Prince (1G, 1A) and Liam O'Connell (1G, 1A), while Jack Korzelius, Evan Key, Jack Richardson and Matt Paul all had one point. 

Alex Burnley played the first 52 minutes in net, making 11 saves before being replaced by Tucker Brown for the final 7:53. Playing between the pipes for the first time in his career, Brown made one stop.

"Today, I thought we were out-played in the middle of the field," head coach Brendan Callahan said. "Credit to Brown. I thought they played hard and won the ground ball battle. We were able to control the ball early, but couldn't find the back of the net. I thought our seniors put out a great effort in their last game for the Green and White, and we thank them for their effort and leadership this year. For the guys returning: 2019 starts today. I look forward to seeing our young group mature and develop in the coming months."

A Brown goal at 10:24 kicked off scoring in the first quarter, but Martin’s 25th marker of the season 10 seconds later – with Richardson picking up his first point of the season by assisting – quickly tied things up. The Bears netted two more over the remaining 10 minutes to take a slight lead heading into the second (3-1). 

The home team took off, outscoring Dartmouth, 6-0, to make it a 9-1 contest at the end of the first half. The Green took six shots in the second quarter, but the Bears’ goalie Phil Goss got in the way of the majority of them to keep Dartmouth out of the net.

Brown started the third with four more goals to make it a 13-1 game, but the Big Green outscored the Bears, 3-2, in the last six minutes of the quarter. At 6:16, Prince’s unassisted tally broke up Brown’s scoring streak and, after the Bears answered less than a minute later, O’Connell added one more for Dartmouth. Brown responded just seven seconds later, but one more by Martin ended the third (15-4). 

The Big Green and the Bears both found the back of the net within the first three minutes of the fourth – with Korzelius scoring Dartmouth’s first man-up tally of the game – while three Bear goals in a row gave them a 19-5 advantage. Just 11 seconds after the last Brown marker, Key got one more on the board for the Green, netting his second of the season in his final collegiate game. Brown scored once more with seven seconds to go to end the game (20-6).