Related Links

LOWELL, Mass. – Dartmouth men’s lacrosse played a strong second half – netting three straight to tie the score late in the fourth quarter and send it to overtime – but ultimately fell to UMass Lowell by a score of 9-8 in double overtime on Tuesday evening. The Big Green dipped to 2-7, while the River Hawks improved to 6-6.

Jack Korzelius and Matt Paul both ended the night with three points, while three other players all had two points each. Alex Burnley had a career-high 14 saves for a .609 save percentage.

"Tonight was a tough loss," head coach Brendan Callahan said. "We had three opportunities to win the game at the end of regulation and in both overtimes, but could not cash in. I thought their goalie and defense had a lot to do with that. We were able to create chances and put rubber on the net. We need to do a better job of finishing those shots. It was great to see Burnley get going in net for us and I thought we fought much harder at the faceoff X. We have to keep working and getting better for our trip to play another good league opponent in Princeton this weekend."

Two UMass Lowell goals in a minute put the home team in control early in the first quarter, but George Prince’s tally 32 seconds later cut the River Hawks’ lead to one. Two saves by both goalies and good defense over the next six minutes kept the contest close, but two more in a row put UMass Lowell up by three. Dartmouth dominated the remaining four minutes and Ben Martin – who assisted on Prince’s tally – netted his 19th of the year to make it a two-goal game (4-2). 

Defense was the name of the game in the second quarter and neither team could find the back of the net for 15 minutes until the River Hawks broke through with four minutes to go. Martin, Prince, Paul, Liam O’Connell and Will Randell all tried their luck, but were stopped by Hunter Braun in net, and UMass Lowell took their 5-2 edge into the intermission.

After a one-goal second quarter, the third saw Dartmouth with the 2-1 goal advantage, started early on by Richie Loftus – and Paul with his first collegiate assist – and followed by Korzelius halfway through. Burnley was key, making five saves to keep the game close heading to the fourth (6-4).

As they had done for the majority of the game, the teams traded goals. The River Hawks got their three-goal advantage back three minutes in, and that was followed by Paul’s man-up tally two minutes later, another UMass marker at 8:04 and Loftus’ second of the game a minute after (8-6). Korzelius’ second goal and third point got the Big Green within one for the first time all game with just four minutes to go. 

Paul’s second of the night tied the score at 8-8 with 1:52 remaining in the fourth. When neither team could score the go-ahead, the game headed to overtime, a first for the Green in 2018. Dartmouth outshot UMass Lowell, 4-2, in the first overtime period, but the River Hawks’ first shot of the second resulted in the game winner. 

On Saturday, Dartmouth will take on Princeton at Sherrerd Field at Class of 1952 Stadium.