CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Dartmouth men’s lacrosse played very well against a tough Harvard team, playing through seven ties before ultimately falling by a score of 10-8 at Harvard Stadium on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 2-5 and 0-1 in Ivy League play, while the Crimson improved to 7-1 and 2-0.

Ben Martin and George Prince both scored a hat trick, while Jack Korzelius ended the game with two points from a goal and an assist, and Richie Loftus and David Gallagher had a point apiece. In net, George Christopher had a season-high 15 stops and Kiernan Gunn was first with five ground balls and was 10-21 at the X.

“I was proud of the fight and effort that we showed today,” head coach Brendan Callahan. “The difference in the game today was the third quarter. We got outscored, outshot and out-GBed. It was great to see us fight back to make it 8-8, but Harvard was able to capitalize on a few of our turnovers in the fourth to win the game. Christopher had a great game in net for us, while Prince and Martin really stepped up for us offensively.”

Just as it did against No. 10 Virginia on Tuesday, Dartmouth got on the board first when Prince beat goalie Robert Shaw through the five-hole just 57 seconds into the first quarter. It took almost five minutes, but Harvard answered with a pair of goals scored two minutes apart to take a one-goal lead. Martin tied things up with 3:43 to go, but a waved off Big Green goal with under 10 seconds to go made way for one more Crimson marker with four ticks remaining on the clock (3-2).

Martin was back two and a half minutes into the second to, once again, make it a tied game. After five minutes of back-and-forth play, Harvard got the go ahead, but a man-up goal by Loftus at 5:01 and one for Korzelius – who assisted on Loftus’ tally – less than a minute later got Dartmouth ahead for the first time since the start of the game, and the Green took a 5-4 edge into the half.

Stats were very even after the first 30 minutes: Harvard led in shots, 16-15, while Dartmouth won seven faceoffs while only losing four and had grabbed 15 ground balls to the Crimson’s 12. Both Christopher and Shaw had five saves apiece.

Two Harvard goals within a minute put the Crimson up by one, but Prince’s backhanded shot directly in front of the net a few minutes later made it a 6-6 game. That did not last long, though, as Harvard broke the tie a minute later and, one more in the latter parts of the quarter gave the home team its first two-goal lead of the game (8-6). Prince completed his hat trick with 11 seconds remaining to get Dartmouth back within one.

After being outscored 4-2 in the third, the Green came back in the fourth and tied the score at eight-all thanks to Martin’s third of the game with under 10 minutes to play in regulation. Shaw had a pair of huge saves to keep the contest knotted, while a nice play by the Crimson put Harvard ahead by one with 5:57 to go. Harvard added an insurance marker with two minutes left on the clock to end the game.

Having been on the road for three games in a row, Dartmouth will return to Scully-Fahey Field on Saturday, March 31, to host Cornell at 1 p.m.