Related Links

FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Freshman George Prince had a career day in Dartmouth men’s lacrosse’s 17-11 loss to Sacred Heart on Saturday afternoon, ending the game with seven points from a hat trick and four assists. The Big Green dipped to 1-2, while the Pioneers improved to 3-1.

Matt Paul and Ben Martin both had three points, while five other players had a point apiece. In net, both Dartmouth goalies played exactly 30 minutes. Alex Burnley started things off, making five saves while being saddled with the loss. George Christopher made his way into the game in third, stopping six. 

"We came out slowly and got out-toughed in the middle of the field in the first half," head coach Brendan Callahan said. "I thought we had a great response coming out after the first half. Austin Meacham was a spark for us at that X. Prince, Martin and Paul really got us going offensively, putting up six in the third. Christopher played tough in net and really gave us a chance when he came in and made some big stops. Unfortunately, the hole we dugs ourselves in the first half was too deep to overcome against a good Sacred Heart team."

Sacred Heart opened scoring two minutes into the first quarter and netted three more unanswered tallies before Paul got the Green on the board with his fourth of the season. Both teams added one more tally before the end of the quarter; the Pioneers found the back of the net a minute after Paul’s goal, while Liam O’Connell scored a man-up marker with just 26 seconds to go (5-2).

After assisting on both of Dartmouth’s goals in the first, Prince scored one of his own late in the second. Even though the shots on goal were relatively close after 30 minutes of play (14-9), Sacred Heart carried a 9-3 advantage into the half.

Christopher replaced Burnley in net at the start of the third and made some good saves right from the start. Dartmouth played its best quarter in the third, out-scoring the Pioneers, 6-3, doubling its tally total from the first two quarters combined and getting back within three (12-9).

Prince and Will Randell got past goalie Brooks Dutton early in the fourth, but it was Sacred Heart that had a strong quarter this time, netting five goals in the final 15 minutes.

On Saturday, March 3, the Big Green will return to Scully-Fahey Field to host Wagner at 3 p.m.